KXXV: Could a turnaround be in progress?

jdcnow

frozen_hell.jpg

OK, Hell has officially frozen over: KXXV has adopted the WorldNow format for its website (www.kxxv.com). This is a HUGE improvement from the downright terrible website they used to have. I watched some of the story clips, and their format (while still not the best) is not nearly as crappy as it used to be.

Could Central Texas/DMA 95's dead last news station be coming back from the grave, and maybe possibly in a few months or years, give KCEN NBC 6 and top dog KWTX CBS 10 a run for their money?

KXXV has come a long way in recent years.

I visited a friend last year and was very impressed. Moral was high. Got good vibes throughout the entire building - and anyone who works or has worked at a television station before knows that is often an impossible feat to accomplish. He said ratings continue to go up, and they all seem very agressive.

OK, Hell has officially frozen over: KXXV has adopted the WorldNow format for its website (www.kxxv.com). This is a HUGE improvement from the downright terrible website they used to have. I watched some of the story clips, and their format (while still not the best) is not nearly as crappy as it used to be.

Could Central Texas/DMA 95's dead last news station be coming back from the grave, and maybe possibly in a few months or years, give KCEN NBC 6 and top dog KWTX CBS 10 a run for their money?

What's new about the site? It's been like that for a while now, as has their sister station- KRHD www.abc40.com.

I've always thought KXXV was underappreciated. Go back a few years and you'll see a number of decent people surrounded by ancient equipment and a deteriorating set. The weather department in particular has had a number of good people that seem to have faded off as soon as they left unfortunately.

The NewsChannel format, at the very least, makes them look presentable again. Hiring Andy Wallace from Drewry's 'Flagship' KSWO as well as pairing Ann Harder with Bruce Gietzen were smart moves. KXXV is starting to be able to retain people, which is something that KCEN can't say these days. I used to like watching KCEN, particularly during the "Newstrong 6" days... but heck, most of those people are long gone!

As for KWTX, they have one of the best small-market operations I've ever seen anywhere in my travels. Longtime management that knows it's audience, and a buttload of money and resources to play with thanks to Gray; combined with the stability in the news department and the format assure it's dominant position won't really face a challenge for a while.

As for KWTX, they have one of the best small-market operations I've ever seen anywhere in my travels. Longtime management that knows it's audience, and a buttload of money and resources to play with thanks to Gray; combined with the stability in the news department and the format assure it's dominant position won't really face a challenge for a while.

Agreed. The "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach has worked for KWTX forever. At this rate, I wonder if 6 or 25 could ever dethrone the mighty 10.

Archived