Network/Cable News HD?

jbjimbo

Which network newscast do you think will go HD first? Which cable news channel will go HD first?

I think CBS and FOX News because they both have the younger audience and the younger people will care more about HD than the others. But I really won't be surprised if one of the other cable news networks does HD before FOX.

Which network newscast do you think will go HD first? Which cable news channel will go HD first?

I think CBS and FOX News because they both have the younger audience and the younger people will care more about HD than the others. But I really won't be surprised if one of the other cable news networks does HD before FOX.

Among network newscasts....

"Good Morning America" is already in HD and "Today" followed in September. I would bet that "NBC Nightly News" goes HD next, followed by "ABC World News" shortly after, if not at the same time or just before.

I know CNN has been getting ready since 2005. I heard they are getting ready for a mid 2007 launch in HD

Well, CNN has had an all-HD control room for over a year now for CNN Pipeline, their online news channel service. The video is streamed in 16:9, but the limited bandwidth of most Internet connections prohibits them from actually streaming stuff in HD.

Among network newscasts....

"Good Morning America" is already in HD and "Today" followed in September. I would bet that "NBC Nightly News" goes HD next, followed by "ABC World News" shortly after, if not at the same time or just before.

Also FOX News Sunday is in HD too.

On the Canadian side...I wonder who will be the first national newscast to go HD? My money's on CTV; but since Lloyd Robertson would really look old in HD (he's 72), I'm leaning towards The National so we'd see how REALLY bald Peter Mansbridge has become!

Jonathan Allen

It's surprising that during CBS' Evening News revision they did not decide to produce the broadcast in HD.

Thats a good point. You would of thought with all new graphics, sets, etc., they would have made the move now and save work redoing everything later. Unless they have something planned we dont know about yet.

I know CNN has been getting ready since 2005. I heard they are getting ready for a mid 2007 launch in HD

Well, CNN has had an all-HD control room for over a year now for CNN Pipeline, their online news channel service. The video is streamed in 16:9, but the limited bandwidth of most Internet connections prohibits them from actually streaming stuff in HD.

I have access to Pipeline and could never figure out why the broadcast in 16:9? You say they have an HD control room and I guess they figured its good to hav it HD incase they use it for something else. But why broadcast Pipeline in 16:9?

I have access to Pipeline and could never figure out why the broadcast in 16:9? You say they have an HD control room and I guess they figured its good to hav it HD incase they use it for something else. But why broadcast Pipeline in 16:9?

Well, why not broadcast in 16:9? It's what eventually everything will be broadcast in, and when people watch stuff in a window on their computer, having it in 16:9 doesn't mean you're stuck with letterboxes and the like (unless you watch it in fullscreen, but seriously...who does that?). There was an article about it in Broadcasting & Cable or some other similar trade publication that talked about the HD control room in detail and why they did it.

The thing that irritates me about Pipeline is it's stretched 16:9.

Well, why not broadcast in 16:9? It's what eventually everything will be broadcast in, and when people watch stuff in a window on their computer, having it in 16:9 doesn't mean you're stuck with letterboxes and the like (unless you watch it in fullscreen, but seriously...who does that?). There was an article about it in Broadcasting & Cable or some other similar trade publication that talked about the HD control room in detail and why they did it.

Unless it your laptop happens to have a 1280x800 display. . .

;)

I watch in full screen cause I set it up so I can watch all four streams at once and somestimes the 16:9 gets annoying, especially if its stretched. If you go to my website (http://www.qngaz.com) and click Control Rooms you can download the Microsoft PowerPoint file that has them set up in a quad (though make sure to follow the directions. You have to first open the Pipeline web player to get the daily cookie then can go into the PowerPoint file).

• 1 month later...

NBC Nightly News to be first evening network newscast to go HD. TVNewser outlines it:

Note from Steve Capus' NBC News town hall meeting this afternoon, via a tipster:

> "Early 08 will see the use of HD cameras in the field on NBC news productions."

> "NBC Nightly News will go HD in March."

> "MSNBC will move to 30 Rock during the 4th quarter of the year."

> "Capus says MSNBC is the best story of the network right now then crows about Scarborough beating Larry King Tuesday."

> "Wants MSNBC to be high definition ASAP although he cannot give any date yet but it is something he is going to look at."

Just a reminder: CNN to go HD in Sept 2007

NBC Nightly News to be first evening network newscast to go HD. TVNewser outlines it:

Note from Steve Capus' NBC News town hall meeting this afternoon, via a tipster:

> "Early 08 will see the use of HD cameras in the field on NBC news productions."

> "NBC Nightly News will go HD in March."

> "MSNBC will move to 30 Rock during the 4th quarter of the year."

> "Capus says MSNBC is the best story of the network right now then crows about Scarborough beating Larry King Tuesday."

> "Wants MSNBC to be high definition ASAP although he cannot give any date yet but it is something he is going to look at."

Just a reminder: CNN to go HD in Sept 2007

NBC Nightly News will go HD in March 08 or this March?

Archived