KMGH's 3pm News

C Block

KCNC is replacing Oprah with 4pm news to be anchored by Karen Leigh and Michelle Griego. They haven't announced a start date yet but they hope to do so as soon as possible. Here's more:

http://denvermedia.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/update-karen-leigh-michelle-griego-to-anchor-news-heavy-cbs4-news-at-4pm/

Then today, KMGH announced that they are moving their 4pm newscast to 3pm. This has never been done in this market. Denver will now have a newscast every hour from 3-8pm. They are moving Dr. Oz to the 4pm hour:

http://denvermedia.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/kmgh-to-move-dr-oz-to-4pm-7news-now-to-3pm-inside-edition-to-330/

I suppose they also figure that their earlier newscast would do better with less competition. I don't think there's ever been a time in the Denver market in which all three stations have had 4pm news. Plus, I don't see why 3pm wouldn't work. They'll have the hour to themselves and there are still plenty of people at home at that hour. KCAL has done it for 20 years, so if they can do it, KMGH can. The only downside is that they've shortened it to 30 minutes, reducing their total early evening news output to 1 hour (compared to 2 hours on KUSA and 2.5 hours on KCNC).

Maybe. I'm just curious what the strategy is from a business standpoint. The lack of competition during that half hour is probably a piece of the puzzle. Avoiding the high cost of syndicated programming is likely another. Maybe that's it? Put cheap to produce local news on at 3:00, put your pricey but popular syndicated program on at 4:00, that way you have a strong lead into the 5... potentially boosting the ratings at 5? I'm only speculating of course.

This will be a real treat for those who remember First News at 4pm

KCNC Meteorologist Larry Green (now retired along with friend and co-anchor Bill Stuart) anchored First News, and Green had several co-anchors from Linda Farrell to Aimee Sporer.

First News started in 1982 during KCNC's days as an NBC affiliate, and that 4pm newscast continued after NBC sold KCNC to CBS in 1995.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish they would move Jeopardy back to 3:30 and bring back the 6pm news. Then they'd be more competitive with the other stations with news at 3, 5, and 6. The 3pm news debuted today, and now with only 30 minutes to work with, it feels less like the rolling newscast it was at 4 and more like a warmup for the 5pm show. Mike now joins Anne in the studio (as opposed to doing hits in the newsroom). It's a shame they only have a combined 1 hour of news in the afternoon/early evening considering that they have such a solid news product.

By the way, other than KCAL and now KMGH, what other stations in the country have 3pm news? Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

Archived