WVUE starts noon newscast Tuesday

PelicanGuy

This one went totally by me, but starting Tuesday, Eric Paulsen and WWL-TV will have competition again as Fox 8 will air a noon newscast.

Liz Reyes will be your anchor with meteorologist Dawn Brown doing the weather.

This should be very interesting.

Times-Picayune

Guest NewsHound

That's exciting, at least the viewers now have some choice for news at noon following the void left by WDSU moving the noon news to 4pm. WVUE has probably the best news department in the country for a FOX station. I hear in ratings, WVUE is a very close 2nd to WWL with WDSU rounding around 3rd and WGNO dead last.

Give it time, I'm sure WVUE will overtake WWL at noon, and although WWL is a powerhouse, I read some viewer comments to this that favor watching WVUE doing a noon newscast over watching WWL.

NewsCentral, wow did you "hear" wrong.

Current ratings in NOLA put WWL in front in all time periods, but losing a ton of viewers. The glory days are gone, but they were such a gorilla, its taking time for the entire posse to fade away. WDSU is second everywhere they have a newscast except 10 pm, where they are third. WVUE is third everywhere there are at least three newscasts on the air -- except at 10. They are hardly nipping at number 1. They have clearly dropped behind WDSU after battling in mornings and afternoons. They actually are losing audience in more places than not. And WGNO does indeed trail the bunch. I'll give you this: WVUE is throwing more money around than everyone, but other than the Lee Zurik splash a while back, not sure what they are getting for it.

Guest NewsHound

well I'm not worthy...

I guess ill go burn myself for being so painfully wrong. -sarcasm-

well I'm not worthy...

I guess ill go burn myself for being so painfully wrong. -sarcasm-

Well, if you want to be snippy... yeah, you weren't worthy in that last post. If you don't want to be corrected, don't post something so wrong. WVUE is greatly improved from its waning Emmis days (which were a disaster), but the station's newscasts are getting doubled-up (afternoons) or nearly even tripled-up (mornings) by WWL and aren't even in second position at the moment. Looks like they had another good Idol-boosted 9 pm and 10 pm book. Numbers are floating around town by the sales teams at all stations. WGNO is still way far back but showed some improvement. Questions going into next season: What will the disappearance of Oprah mean for WWL? Can WGNO continue to improve? Will they stick with "Twist" at 6 pm? Will WVUE have a better November than in years past with help from a stronger Fox fall schedule than in recent years? Can WDSU carry over its recent momentum?

Pelican Guy seems to be close to the market (and a longtime WWL fan). What say ye?

Archived