WPMI News Anchors Fired

Mario500

While checking the watch list on the online encyclopedia Wikipedia, I noticed that the WPMI-TV article was updated. It turns out it was updated to include the termination of evening news anchors Peter Albrecht, Drexel Gilbert, and Kim McCrea. I checked WPMI's official website and the biographies for these three anchors have been removed.

No reason was given for the layoffs, but it's safe to say that it is part of the station's restructuring plan due to Clear Channel Communication's plans to sale its TV stations. WPMI was the first TV station purchased by Clear Channel (about 19 years ago), by the way. Medialine's "Open Line" has a post that says WPMI's morning weather reporter Jim Loznicka has been promoted to chief meteorologist.

It's TV news stories like this that make me wish the websites South TV News and Big Easy TV were still in operation. Mobile, AL is quite an interesting media market, I must say.

Guest Junk Junk

It's TV news stories like this that make me wish the websites South TV News and Big Easy TV were still in operation. Mobile, AL is quite an interesting media market, I must say.

You just took me on a trip down memory lane - those were good websites, indeed.

Here is what local radio talk show Uncle Henry had to say about the fired WPMI anchors this morning:

“I really like Peter Albrecht and I really like Drexel Gilbert”, the Uncle said about the nicest people he’s met in Mobile media. “I want you to know that you are in my thoughts and I’m thinking about you”, said the Uncle, who will “go as far as pray for you”. Drexel Gilbert is “just as warm in person, no pretense will converse with you at Wal-Mart”, said the Uncle. “I just want the three to know that they have my support”, said the Uncle. “Once the show is over, there is not a lot going on with me”, said the Uncle. “There is some time I can spend with you. There is not a lot I’m up to after the show”, said the Uncle.

As the Mobile Press-Register continues to cover the story, I have just learned that WPMI has hired former KMTV (in Omaha, Nebraska) reporter Greg Peterson for the position of news anchor for the 5:00 PM, 6:00 PM, and 10:00 PM newscasts. General manager Bob Franklin plans on hiring another anchor in addition to Peterson.

WPMI's news product has never really caught on with the Mobile market. It probably took alot of money to bring Peter and Drexel to WPMI and they weren't getting the ratings they thought they would.

Another problem, its seems, is that Clear Channel appeared not to really invest in the station. WKRG invested money in weather equipment while WPMI was content on using NWS radar with a fake sweep and calling it live. The set has been virtually the same for 11 years. It is sad but WPMI was the red headed step child of the Clear Channel television group.

It also doesn't help that NBC's ratings are in the toilet.

matt.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning, I discovered WPMI's first on-air promotion for Greg Peterson. He was speaking to various people around the area in the promo. Monday will be Peterson's first day on the air as evening news anchor.

Archived