WXII Morning Anchor Kills Pedestrian

Free2BthaCW

From myfoxwghp.com:

Local Anchor Charged with DWI in Accident that Kills Pedestrian

Last Edited: Monday, 12 Mar 2007, 9:33 AM EDT

Created: Sunday, 11 Mar 2007, 12:42 PM EDT

Tolly Carr

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) -- A television news co-anchor was charged with driving while impaired following a wreck that resulted in the death of a pedestrian.

Tolly Glenn Carr, 32, of Greensboro, was charged early Sunday after his pickup truck ran off a street, along a sidewalk and collided with a building.

Casey Ryan Bokhoven, 26, of Winston-Salem, died at the accident scene, police said.

Carr refused to take a breath alcohol test and was released on a written promise to come to court April 2, police said.

Carr was treated for a minor injury. Fjola Ingvadottir Wilson, 33, a WXII employee who was a passenger in Carr's 1997 Ford truck, was admitted to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, where he was listed in stable condition.

A search warrant issued after the 3:40 a.m. accident said Carr told police he had consumed alcohol earlier that evening. The warrant also said Carr didn't pass a field sobriety test and that the strong odor of alcohol was detected on Carr.

A witness said he heard a vehicle "gunning down the road going really fast" before the wreck. Andrew Rodgers also said he saw a body under the rear wheel when he went to help Carr and his passenger.

"All of us at WXII are devastated by this terrible tragedy," Hank Price, the president and general manager of WXII, said in a statement. "Our hearts go out to the families of everyone affected by this horrible event."

What a moron, as an achor he is suppose to maintain a good image and by killing a pedestrian, well it does make him look good at all.

Well, he didn't do it on purpose... he did however, drink and drive which will hurt his image. It really hurt WAVY reporter Andy Fox's image when he got a DWI last year.

That's a real shame for everyone involved. He had recently been promoted to morning anchor after being weekend sports anchor to spice up the morning show (they promoted the heck out of it). Having been around him in person a few times on my internship, he seemed like a funny, laid-back guy. It's disappointing he made an unwise decision.

What a moron, as an achor he is suppose to maintain a good image and by killing a pedestrian, well it does make him look good at all.

Well, he didn't do it on purpose... he did however, drink and drive which will hurt his image. It really hurt WAVY reporter Andy Fox's image when he got a DWI last year.

Well, I dare say whether Mr. Carr is charged with anything beyond DWI (and I would say its highly likely he will face manslaughter charges if they determine he was intoxicated when the accident happened), he won't be back on the air at WXII, period. He'll also likely be considered "radioactive" in the industry and will be unable to find a job anywhere.

Yeah, WXII really has a blow on their hands. But (even though I prefer WGHP), WXII did a hell of a job reporting it. This morning, Kimberly Van Scoy (his usual co-anchor) was just gloom. She was not herself. She anchored solo and was visually down. Usually Kimberly, Tolly, Austin and Jenny are bouncing off the walls. Poor Tolly, he was recently promoted to that position. Its a shame really.

Yeah, WXII really has a blow on their hands. But (even though I prefer WGHP), WXII did a hell of a job reporting it. This morning, Kimberly Van Scoy (his usual co-anchor) was just gloom. She was not herself. She anchored solo and was visually down. Usually Kimberly, Tolly, Austin and Jenny are bouncing off the walls. Poor Tolly, he was recently promoted to that position. Its a shame really.

I'll agree, most stations want to sweep it under the rug with a terse "we don't discuss personnel matters" response, but I was suprised to see it on the WXII front page.

In the Memphis market, when Ron Meroney of WHBQ was charged with sexually abusing a child, the station reported on it as if it were just another story; even though I don't like Fox 13, they handed the situation with the same news sense that any other station would.

When WREG anchor Jerry Tate's son, who was a Memphis Police officer, was accused of corruption and other wrong-doings, not only did Channel 3 cover the story, but Jerry Tate anchored on many of the days it was included in newscasts (although, he didn't read any copy about it on-air; it was always given to his co-anchor).

Well, I dare say whether Mr. Carr is charged with anything beyond DWI (and I would say its highly likely he will face manslaughter charges if they determine he was intoxicated when the accident happened), he won't be back on the air at WXII, period. He'll also likely be considered "radioactive" in the industry and will be unable to find a job anywhere.

Not only will he not be able to get a job at another station...this guy is going to be in jail for a long time. DWI plus intoxicated manslaughter...that's a serious crime.

Yeah. When I wrote that, they hadn't yet charged him with intoxicated manslaughter. If officials hadn't have charged him with manslaughter, there's no way another station would have hired him.

Archived