How do you say "Channel 7 Eyewitness News" promos

wabceyewitness

Those graphics... They're really suffering now that Giant Octopus is gone, aren't they?

Maybe the several hours of Mad Men I just watched is affecting my brain, but I don't get what these are supposed to do? Are we selling the name now?

It's always funny to watch Anthony Johnson say it.

It also interesting to see how reporters put their own touch when saying the station's ID or when they exhibit other oddities in their reports. Such characters include(d):

WCBS has Jennifer McLogan. (She speeds up at when she says CBS2 News)

WNYW has Arnold Diaz. (Lots of hand gestures in his reports)

WPIX had Julian Philips ( way back before he joined FOX News, he would have a long pause ending his reports: "WB11 News.......At Ten")

Those graphics... They're really suffering now that Giant Octopus is gone, aren't they?

Maybe the several hours of Mad Men I just watched is affecting my brain, but I don't get what these are supposed to do? Are we selling the name now?

They are are starting a franchise. lol ;D

Well, yes.. that's exactly what any good news department or any company for that matter does.. sell the brand name..it's what every single advertisement has ever revolved around. You can say you have great reporters, great forecasts, HD choppers, etc.. but Eyewitness News is the brand name of the WABC news dept... so, the promos revolve around that and at the end of the day have to sell the Eyewitness News name... just as other stations sell the CBS2 News or News4 or FOX5 News name..

I LOVED this promo when I first saw it. They should make these in bulk, just go around the city and ask people to say the tagline. Not only will it get more people watching (as if everyone doesn't watch to begin with), it's a fun way to interact with the people who get you the huge ratings. Matter of fact, they can take it a step further; they should do sort of what KMSP does with their

promos, get the anchors, reporters and meteorologists out and say the tagline with them. But it's great this way too. :)

Well, yes.. that's exactly what any good news department or any company for that matter does.. sell the brand name..it's what every single advertisement has ever revolved around. You can say you have great reporters, great forecasts, HD choppers, etc.. but Eyewitness News is the brand name of the WABC news dept... so, the promos revolve around that and at the end of the day have to sell the Eyewitness News name... just as other stations sell the CBS2 News or News4 or FOX5 News name..

In my head I was thinking of what would happen if you replaced "Channel 7 Eyewitness News" with anything else. "How do YOU say 'KRAFT MACARONI AND CHEESE'??"

In the end, there's nothing here telling me why I should watch WABC, other than it being CHANNEL 7 EYEWITNESS NEWS!!!

Well it did say "New York's #1 News Team," but other than that, nothing.

That's no reason to draw viewers. "We are Number 1. And if you watch us, we will remained number 1. Why watch us? Because we are number 1." Really, that is very circulatory logic. I disagree BCN.

That's no reason to draw viewers. "We are Number 1. And if you watch us, we will remained number 1. Why watch us? Because we are number 1." Really, that is very circulatory logic. I disagree BCN.

It kind of allures to "We're #1 for a reason," plus, more people jump aboard bandwagons nowadays.

In my head I was thinking of what would happen if you replaced "Channel 7 Eyewitness News" with anything else. "How do YOU say 'KRAFT MACARONI AND CHEESE'??"

In the end, there's nothing here telling me why I should watch WABC, other than it being CHANNEL 7 EYEWITNESS NEWS!!!

It's not about why you should watch it. It's a known brand and it's keeping that brand name in your head. It's similar to those old "how do you eat a Reese's peanut butter cup?" commercials. It's not telling you why you should eat it, it's just keeping the brand name in your head.

You know the old

ads? This is basically the equivalent of that. Yes, it does nothing to sell the news operation's actual merits, and yes, it is extremely dumb. But it does what it sets out to do - associate the "Eyewitness News" brand with "Channel 7".

There are better examples, mind you. Most of them used by them and/or their sister station in Philly. "There goes that newsvan again." "Seven Minutes!" "I Gotta Hear It From Jim." Those use the same kind of repetition, but they back up some aspect of the station. They suggest that the station's coverage extends all across the area, they remind viewers that they have traffic and weather at six-or-seven minute intervals, and they emphasize the station's (or in this case, market's) signature anchor. This just tells me that the station is named "Channel 7 Eyewitness News".

Anyway, I think this is a far better way to build up the station's brand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJgSCtjTp5Y

To be fair, I'd generally hold WPVI up as one of the strongest local station brands in the country, due in part to their often-creative promos. And yeah, I'd question those graphics on 7, especially when their sister station has a tremendous in-house graphics department. Their current look was largely created in-house. And I still have NO idea how they managed to make this promo.

Oh, and to answer the topic question: I'd say it the way Gilbert Hodges does. No special emphasis, but great delivery.

You know the old

To be fair, I'd generally hold WPVI up as one of the strongest local station brands in the country, due in part to their often-creative promos. And yeah, I'd question those graphics on 7, especially when their sister station has a tremendous in-house graphics department. Their current look was largely created in-house. And I still have NO idea how they managed to make this promo.

Oh, and to answer the topic question: I'd say it the way Gilbert Hodges does. No special emphasis, but great delivery.

Yes they create the associate between Eyewitness News and Channel 7, Channel 7 and Eyewitness News but what is compelling me to watch? Seriously! Didn't WNBC just score the most Emmy's in the market? I'd want to watch NBC 4 New York! Just because they tell me their channel number and their news name does not make me want to watch more!

!

That promo is ridiculously good! It begs the question: Why is KABC using crappy AE only gfx? Those suck!!

I kind of like the Mike Lewis voice over, only kind of. I really haven't heard anybody good do voice over for WABC. Van Dyke is mediocre, Gilbert Hodges's voice over is rather flat and Anderson is some funny voice trailing. I'm not not impressed by anyone of them!

What about David Kaye (he's the current KCBS/KCAL announcer, as well as a profilic voice actor in anime and dubs, like Megatron in several Transformers shows (Beast Wars/Beast Machines, and the Unicron Trilogy shows), as well as Optimus Prime in Animated)? He did WABC's voiceovers in the late 90's. Or Norman Rose and/or Bill Rice, they shared VO duties until Mike Lewis came along. Also, Hulkie, WABC also used the Newsvan thing, but to a smaller, different, extent, and they discontinued it a few years ago.

What about David Kaye (he's the current KCBS/KCAL announcer, as well as a profilic voice actor in anime and dubs, like Megatron in several Transformers shows (Beast Wars/Beast Machines, and the Unicron Trilogy shows), as well as Optimus Prime in Animated)? He did WABC's voiceovers in the late 90's. Or Norman Rose and/or Bill Rice, they shared VO duties until Mike Lewis came along. Also, Hulkie, WABC also used the Newsvan thing, but to a smaller, different, extent, and they discontinued it a few years ago.

I heard Bill Rice on NMSA. He's pretty good. I like him.

Yes they create the associate between Eyewitness News and Channel 7' date=' Channel 7 and Eyewitness News but what is compelling me to watch? Seriously! Didn't WNBC just score the most Emmy's in the market? I'd want to watch NBC 4 New York! Just because they tell me their channel number and their news name does not make me want to watch [i']more[/i]!

!

That promo is ridiculously good! It begs the question: Why is KABC using crappy AE only gfx? Those suck!!

I kind of like the Mike Lewis voice over, only kind of. I really haven't heard anybody good do voice over for WABC. Van Dyke is mediocre, Gilbert Hodges's voice over is rather flat and Anderson is some funny voice trailing. I'm not not impressed by anyone of them!

You're missing the point. It's branding...just getting the name brand in people's heads. There are many promos that compel you watch.. and then there are promos that focus on the brand name and keeping it in your head.

Also, local Emmys mean nothing. They're self-nominated paid entries that are judged by a close-knit group of friends and colleagues. That said, I like Anthony Johnson's "EYEEEE-Witness News!"

KABC is in fact using the same engine that WPVI is using: vizrt. Those are two different implementations. WPVI uses it to generate live, 3D visuals, while KABC uses the more "european" look associated with it.

Plus their CSD is Wendy McMahon, who was behind the excellent WBZ look before they went to the O&O version. It makes sense that the style followed her there.

To be fair, I did have a hard time coming up with a single Gilbert Hodges clip that summed him all up. I think repeated exposure is how you begin to appreciate his style.

Mike Lewis... now HE was a good one. His whole announcement: "THIS... is the news LEADER... ABC 7 EYEwitness News!", along with Series 3 music and some great footage,

Archived