WBBM What's Next: You Decide

superbad

There is so much to do. So if you were Cohen were would you start.

Will Fowler be fired.

The fate of the executive producers, who managed failed shows.

Reporters who are beyond lackluster.

A morning show that should be pulled.

Just a couple suggestions ;)

- FIX CONTENT OF EACH NEWSCAST

- MAKE THE NEWS INTERESTING AGAIN

- Give me a reason to go back to watching channel 2

- Get Anne State to talk slower and not use her hands as much

- New news director

- Graphics update for more cohesive on-air look

- Minor set updates (that monitor wall behind the anchors still makes me nuts, among other things)

- Go back to calling themselves "CBS 2 NEWS" instead of "THE NEWS ON CBS 2 HD" or "THE NEW CBS 2 HD", who cares, we already know they're in HD because of that ever-changing corner bug

- Anchor lineup changes? At this point they've gone through so many it might not be worth it, let viewers get used to the current switcheroo

I hate that "The News on CBS 2 HD" title. I also can't stand their CBS 2 logo. I've never liked it. I'm glad they did stop using that Enforcer music but I don't think I really like what they've switched to.

Just a couple suggestions ;)

- Minor set updates (that monitor wall behind the anchors still makes me nuts, among other things)

That monitor wall behind the anchors originally had a slightly forward slanting fogged/frosted glass panel to cover it (similar to WFLD's); however, someone at the station didn't like it and decided to have it removed sometime before the debut. If you look closely at monitor wall behind the anchors on the set, the grooves that the sides of the glass are inserted to are still there. Hopefully, they kept the panel and didn't throw it away and maybe it could be reinserted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They need to put Dr. Phil at 3pm, and put Judge Judy at 4pm, and add a 4:30pm newscast back. I'd also consider expanding the 5pm newscast to a full hour again like they used to have in the late 80s, with the CBS Evening News at 6pm. They need a different formula than NBC 5 and ABC 7 have--competing newscasts at 5pm and 6pm aren't working. Better theme music would help. The problem is you can't beat ABC 7's News Series 2000 Plus or NBC 5's Tower theme.

They need to put Dr. Phil at 3pm, and put Judge Judy at 4pm, and add a 4:30pm newscast back.

The return of a 4:30pm or 4pm newscast isn't out of the question.. I've heard they're considering it; however, the priorities at the moment are fixing what they have right now.

Just a couple suggestions :(

- FIX CONTENT OF EACH NEWSCAST

- MAKE THE NEWS INTERESTING AGAIN

- Give me a reason to go back to watching channel 2

- Anchor lineup changes? At this point they've gone through so many it might not be worth it, let viewers get used to the current switcheroo

I can guarantee you Bruno Cohen will not do anything like that. Content-wise, KOVR's newscasts are much worse now than they were under Sinclair ownership, and they keep getting worse and worse. The "content" (and I use that term lightly) seems like a clone of WSVN tabloid crap.

Cohen came into KOVR with a clean slate, and he succeeded in running the station even further into the ground.

What I'd like to know is why did they have some success in January 2006 after they put Dr. Phil at 4pm as a lead in to the 5pm news and then it didn't last at all? Viewers didn't like what they saw I guess or didn't stick with it or maybe they got tired of Dr. Phil. I personally can't stand the show and don't care for it. Or maybe it was the replacement of Antonio Mora with Rob Johnson...another change that didn't make sense when the 5pm newscast was making gains over WMAQ.

I'm tired about hearing about WBBM and their troubles. There are other stations in Chicago...let's hear about them for a change.

I agree. Nothing ever changes for them anyway. As someone had mentioned their main purpose is distrubuting CBS's network programming to the Chicago market.

WBZ has done better since they stopped using the CBS 4 branding and went back to simply WBZ in their branding. I wonder if those types of strategies will be used in Chicago--maybe going to back to roots of WBBM and possibly dropping the CBS 2 branding.

Hmmm, until they change their content formula that would "click" with the viewers, do wholesale firings and bring their own minds that would change their content and possible do some on-air talent changes and/or firings, Channel 2 will continue to be a Status Quo. Even if you have to bring each person or persons from every CBS-owned station to save WBBM from their ratings woes, it won't help if their content formula continues to be a Status Quo.

That's the thing, Kiernan will improve the Content Formula for WBBM, that is what Cohen was looking for after Carol left. And Cohen said it first, that he wants to improve the content of CBS 2.

Archived