News Sets - Before and After

TexasTVNews

Guest Junk Junk

New KCAL set:

Really?

::D

Edit: Okay, so I saw a couple of new pics of the set, and it does look a bit more fabulous. I'll reserve judgment until I see it in action.

• 5 months later...

Instead of posting a new thread, I thought I'd add a few works of my own into this, since it's kinda down the same alley.

Keep in mind, however, that these are not actual photos. They're artistic renderings of the KOMO News set based off of a screenshot I took from a tape I have - of a KOMO News broadcast in 1993. They're as accurate as can be, but since i've lost most of my videotape reference of this set, I'm using a screenshot sourced from a 1993 close, as well as my own memory to fill in the gaps.

The set in general remained the same from 1987 on up to 1994, with evolutionary changes in the backdrop panels and desk.

1987-1989_KOMO_News_Set.JPG

The set in 1987. This replaced a panorama-panel set, and was introduced in August of 1987. I'm currently working on revising this image to reflect inaccuracies discovered in recent clips of this set.

1989-1990_KOMO_News_Set.JPG

The change made in late 1989. Was introduced just before the holiday season. The red panels and the blue carpet were replaced by shades of gray.

1991-1992_KOMO_News_Set.JPG

Same set basically, with refined backdrop panels. IMHO, this set, along with the following two sets, are the two best sets KOMO has ever used.

1992-1993_KOMO_News_Set.JPG

The revision made in the summer of 1991. A light hint of blue was added to the backdrop panels, keeping the graininess of the "granite effect" intact, yet soothing the contrasty look it had before.

1993-1994_KOMO_News_Set.JPG

They tweaked it in late 1992 to deepen the blue, but that's about it here.

In the summer of 1993, KOMO softened the "granite" appearance and replaced it with a look that resembled blurred splotches. KOMO replaced this set in November of 1994 with one that originally consisted of a two very large blue panels (in a gradient that faded to a near white at the bottom), a softened upper banner, and a backdrop of Seattle that at first had too much red. In 1997, KOMO added the blue "granite" look back to the set's blue panels, but replaced it soon afterwards with a panorama backdrop (the image of which they're still using to this day). When KOMO moved into Fisher Plaza and destroyed the old building, they presumably destroyed the old set as well.

Several hours per night, over the course of a week, were spent on each image to perfect them, and I'm still working on revising them as I catch more details.

*EDIT* I've spent more time on them, sourcing new bits from a better quality screengrab, and corrected the 1987-1989 set based on erros sourced from a recent KOMO broadcast

Here's some more of my set renderings. This set is of the late '80s-mid 1990s set to KATU Channel 2 in Portland, KOMO's sister to the south.

This was sourced from an image I found of the actual set, taken from the website of the company who designed and built it (for some reason, they no longer have the photo posted on their website). I digitally expanded the field-of-view via artistic representation to depict areas the photo left off. Another source for these images were two photos of this set sent to me years ago by former KATU (and now KOIN) anchor Jeff Gianola. (I no longer have the photos in my possession, but I remember what they showed.)

Channel2News_set_7_2.JPG

The late '80s, early 1990s set. The Gianola photos were the source for these, as were a video of an old KATU Channel 2 newscast I came across years ago.

Channel2News_set_5_2.JPG

The early 1990s set. This was sourced from the actual photo I found on the Acme Scenic website, and was also based on video reference.

Channel2News_set_6_2.JPG

The last iteration of this set. Was done using video reference. KATU stopped using this set in 1997 and replaced it with one slightly resembling KOMO's current set when it first debuted.

Archived