Long station ID's

Guest cfif

Do any of your local stations have really long station ID's that list 4 or more cities? I've always wondered why some stations list sooo many cities.

Two of my locals have 4-city ID's

WXPXID.PNG

WXPX

71it2.png

WWSB (used to be just Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice up until a few years ago)

When I first saw the title, I thought you meant ident animations that ran for 10 seconds or more. Anyway...

I think I've seen a WTKR legal ID from a long time ago that listed "Norfolk / Hampton / Suffolk / Portsmouth / Newport News / Virginia Beach / Chesapeake". (Don't they only ID with Norfolk now?)

I also remember seeing KTEN in Ada, OK id as "Ada / Ardmore / Sherman / Denison / Durant".

Then there's WYFF's "Greenville / Spartanburg / Asheville / Anderson".

and there's...

- KTVU, Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose.

- KRON, KPIX, and KGO, San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose.

- KNTV, San Jose, Oakland, San Francisco.

- KCRA, KXTV, KMAX, and KTXL, Sacramento, Stockton, Modesto.

- KOVR, and KQCA, Stockton, Sacramento, Modesto.

Do any of your local stations have really long station ID's that list 4 or more cities? I've always wondered why some stations list sooo many cities.

By law, the FCC requires that the station identify itself wherever they have a transmitter. If the station has a repeater somewhere, that city (location) must be listed in the legal ID as well.

If you listen to radio stations, you will always here the station identified by the location (city) of the transmitter, not the studio.

Guest zas1977

From FCC.gov:

"Section 73.1201(a) requires TV broadcast licensees to make station identification announcements at the beginning/ending of each time of operation, and hourly, at natural breaks in program offerings. It also requires the licensees' station ID to consist of the station's call letters immediately followed by the community or communities specified as the station's location. TV and Class A TV stations may make these announcements visually or aurally. Section 74.783(:p requires TV translator stations, whose station ID is made by the TV station whose signals are being rebroadcast, to furnish current contact information such as translator's call letters/name/address/telephone number of the licensee."

Back in the day: KXXV-TV Waco-Temple-Killeen-Bryan-College Station

Now that they have the established sister LP station for the Bryan/College Station neighboring market, it's just back to Waco-Temple-Killeen.

Not that this is long, but compared to the other Cleveland TV stations it is:

WOIO-TV-Cleveland-Shaker Heights

WUAB-TV Cleveland-Lorain

I guess those stations were simply licensed in those towns first, then moved to Cleveland.

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends on the station's COL (city of license). The COL isn't always exactly where the transmitter is, but it needs to be well within the coverage area. Around here, none of the stations actually have their transmitter in Green Bay, (they are all in Ledgeview or Glenmore, except for WIWB, which is up north in Suring) but most use that as their COL as it is the biggest city in the area.

WTVA 9 NBC/WLOV 27 FOX/WKDH 45 ABC

Tupelo-Columbus-West Point-Starkville

WXVT 15 CBS/WABG 6 ABC

Cleveland-Indianola-Greenville-Greenwood-Grenada

KFVS 12

Cape Girardeau-Paducah-Carbondale-Marion-Poplar Bluff

WCIA 3

Springfield-Champaign-Urbana-Decatur

Flint-Saginaw ADI: (Each station has a different city of license)

WNEM-TV/WNEM-DT BayCity Saginaw Flint Midland

WJRT-TV/WJRT-DT Flint Saginaw BayCity Midland

WEYI-TV/WEYI-DT Saginaw BayCity Flint

and Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo

WWMT-TV/WWMT-DT Kalamazoo Grand Rapids BattleCreek

WOTV/WOTV-DT BattleCreek Kalamazoo Grand Rapids

Archived