St louis Cardinals move Over-the-air Broadcast network flagship affilate

jhampsten

For the 1st time since 1987, KSDK-NBC st louis will be the flagship station of the Cardinals TV baseball network. The Cardinals will be leaving CW 11 for the prime spot on channel 5. All KSDK shown games will be in hi-def, and there are plans for 20+ games, plus 2 in the pre-season. Link to story: http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=108823

and as a personal note, I am sure that soon rumors of ABC leaving KDNL and moving to KPLR will start flying now that Baseball has left channel 11.

I highly doubt that ABC would move to KPLR because KPLR is a Tribune Company and I do not think that Tribune would trade their affiliation with the CW to KDNL. I just think that ABC leaving KDNL is just wishful thinking. But that is just my opinion. Anyways, that's pretty cool about the Cardinals on KSDK. Many feared that the Cardinals would only be on FSN Midwest. It's great to see that it is not the case.

Interesting how an NBC affiliate is picking up baseball rights somewhere in the country. Any other current case studies of this going on?

WKYC has the Indians.

Just curious on something...are those games produced in house by WKYC or are they produced by Sportstime Ohio for WKYC?

I highly doubt that ABC would move to KPLR because KPLR is a Tribune Company and I do not think that Tribune would trade their affiliation with the CW to KDNL. I just think that ABC leaving KDNL is just wishful thinking. But that is just my opinion. Anyways, that's pretty cool about the Cardinals on KSDK. Many feared that the Cardinals would only be on FSN Midwest. It's great to see that it is not the case.

The bigger question may be what happens to Tribune....and if it's sold...who buys KPLR.

Guest Former Member 207

Interesting how an NBC affiliate is picking up baseball rights somewhere in the country. Any other current case studies of this going on?

WKYC has the Indians.

Just curious on something...are those games produced in house by WKYC or are they produced by Sportstime Ohio for WKYC?

First off, don't forget that both WKYC and KSDK are owned by Gannett. By the above-mentioned description, the KSDK scenario is very similar to the WKYC-Indians arrangement. As far as WKYC-Sportstime Ohio production presentations, it's both a joint arrangment...they use the same production team and facilities.

I am happy NewsChannel 5 obtained the rights to broadcast the Cardinals games...maybe this will bring the station out of its "slump" and turn the NBC affiliate around for St. Louians.

P.S. I hope they get better graphics and music than what they have currently.

A couple of points. Both WCBS and WNBC in NY have broadcast over the air Yankee games. Usually Friday nights. The Cards according to today's paper will be broadcasting all but 18 games on FSN, and the KSDK games will only be weekend games and should have minimal network interruption. My understanding is that NBC gave KSDK an ultimatum when they broadcast many more games than the puny few they will have next season. The Cardinals clearly are about revenue generation at the expense of the fans, thus the switch to 95% cable games, a downsized new stadium, a second rate radio situation.... it all adds up to more money for them.

One of the posters also asked the right question regarding KPLR. When Tribune is sold - that is a foregone conclusion since they put themselves up for sale, who will end up with KPLR. Even if its Gannett as a duopoly, it may get resold. I would not be surprised if ABC approaches the buyer regarding network affiliation, considering the second rate situation they have in St. Louis and Sinclair. I'm sure Sinclair would be just as profitable, probably more, with their mix of synidcated fare, informercials, and religous programs. No need to share any commercials with a network, thus more revenue to Sinclair.

Will it happen, who knows, but lets hope.

Guest daleduke17

Will they still have the "Cardinals Televison Network" like they do right now? Up in this area of central Illinois the games are aired on WBUI and WAOE. I know some of the more rural areas still rely on those two stations for their Cardinal watching, and with some of the cable and satellite systems doing away with FSN it is about the only way to watch them.

yes the only thing that is different, is that in st louis the games will be on KSDK. It should have no effect on any stations outside of st louis. ALL ksdk shown games should be on WBUI and WAOE, and any Cardinals televison network station.

Cardinals fans are lucky to have some games broadcast over the air. The Padres did away with their over the air games in 2004 when they moved into PETCO Park. KUSI always carried the sunday games, but because it did not broadcast in HD the Padres decided that all their games would only be available exclusively via COX 4. So gotta give the thumbs up to the Cards to make some games available for free.

There's also rumors that KPLR will shut-down its news dept after the first of the year. The Cards were their bread and butter and reveue is expected to take a huge hit.

oh well if anyone wants news at 9 in st. louis they just watch fox 2 anyway, of course that would make my grandma go ballistic, but if they were going to shut down the news dept, then why did they just hire a chief met, which makes most of the news talent now former ABC 30 folks, before sincrap kicked them out.

and off topic, I am really getting tired of KDNL putting that dumb scroll about mediacom after EVERY single commerical break. Please FCC make our holiday dreams come true and make them shut down.

There's also rumors that KPLR will shut-down its news dept after the first of the year. The Cards were their bread and butter and reveue is expected to take a huge hit.

oh well if anyone wants news at 9 in st. louis they just watch fox 2 anyway, of course that would make my grandma go ballistic, but if they were going to shut down the news dept, then why did they just hire a chief met, which makes most of the news talent now former ABC 30 folks, before sincrap kicked them out.

and off topic, I am really getting tired of KDNL putting that dumb scroll about mediacom after EVERY single commerical break. Please FCC make our holiday dreams come true and make them shut down.

They WON'T shut down. KDNL still makes a profit, and in Sinclair's eyes, that's all that matters. As I said, the only way Sinclair could relinquish control of KDNL would be if the FCC stripped Sinclair's license, given their long history of misconduct. Not sure if it will happen, but it seems to be the only way.

My gut still says that once Tribune is sold, and the ownership situation of KPLR is settled, ABC will try to pull their affiliation from Sinclair and go elsewhere. A wild card could be what happens to Ch. 46 depending if MNTV even survives past June, never mind if it changes direction. Sinclair won't care if Disney pulls the affiliation, less money they have to give up, more for themselves.

Archived