Q&A with WFLD GM Mike Renda

Jase

Very interesting read: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wfld-gm-mike-renda-if-you-dont-evolve-you-die_b11112

A couple of quick quotes-

"I can’t tell you how involved Carol [Fowler] is in our news and everything that we’re dong. And some of the things that I really take exception to are some of these stories that have been coming out about her leaving and so on. Carol and I are here for the long haul. And we’re working really hard on this and we now have people who I think can see where we’re trying to go, and they’re with us." -MR

"I think that we’re completely transparent about what we’re trying to do [in regards to improving WFLD's ratings]. Our staff understands it. I think that the majority of people are on-board. I think that certainly we want to be as successful as fast as we can. But I think that there’s understanding from the people that I report to, and also from myself, that it’s a process and it takes time. But we’re on the march." -MR

Despite the small ratings gains for GDC and no change for the 9PM, the station is still operating in the red. FOX corporate can't/shouldn't sit on their collective hands while the station continues to wallow in last place.

After 2

years of failure he breaks his silence. Admits am show miniscule growth

and no growth at 9. Says he and fowler are there for long haul but

admits he thinks his bosses get it takes time

He thinks staff is on board. There's a lot of I think goin on here.

I think you had yet another bad book and you are on spin control. Also well done setting up fowler to take the fall

I don't work for any stations, or in television or radio. I'm just a viewer.

I'm tired of all of the bashing of WFLD and management on here. As we know, people's viewing habits change very slowly, especially here in Chicago. Channel 2 is a great example; the station was stuck in last place for over 20 years, and even now has slowly started to become more competitive.

Bottom line is, people need to give WFLD and its management a chance. Things don't (and won't) change overnight.

After 2

years of failure he breaks his silence. Admits am show miniscule growth

and no growth at 9. Says he and fowler are there for long haul but

admits he thinks his bosses get it takes time

He thinks staff is on board. There's a lot of I think goin on here.

I think you had yet another bad book and you are on spin control. Also well done setting up fowler to take the fall

More spin control for sure.. More babble. More trying to justify the amount the spent on Flannery. More blah blah blah nothing. Pointless interview.

Bottom line is, people need to give WFLD and its management a chance. Things don't (and won't) change overnight.

You don't personally know them.. You don't know the stupid things they do. Things don't change overnight but if you personally saw what is really being done there, I'm sure you'd agree with the rest of us here.. And the things they're doing in there, isn't for the benefit of the station.. Don't fall for the smokescreens.

I don't work for any stations, or in television or radio. I'm just a viewer.

I'm tired of all of the bashing of WFLD and management on here. As we know, people's viewing habits change very slowly, especially here in Chicago. Channel 2 is a great example; the station was stuck in last place for over 20 years, and even now has slowly started to become more competitive.

They have had more than enough time to turn things around. I'm not against trying to mix things up, but you have to do things within reason. There was no reason why they had to fire experienced, hard-working reporters/anchors, technicians and so on. Had they not done that and a host of other stupid things, they wouldn't have alienated so many viewers who have gone elsewhere for their news.

Also, you have to call people like Renda out when they live in a fantasy world instead of reality. Viewers are more likely to forgive your errors when you fully own up to them and are actively trying not to repeat them. This dude (like many others) is just spitting out a bunch of bs.

What some people might not remember is that both WFLD and WGN were experiencing viewer erosion around the same time. WGN stood their ground (meaning no major format changes, some anchor re-assignments] and was able to gain viewers. WFLD went from a stable and viable news choice to a shell of its former self and have lost viewers.

WBBM and WFLD were/are in two different situations and you really can't compare the two overall.

Archived