HD in Green Bay: Could WFRV beat WBAY?

Chief-O

Those of us in the Green Bay market have probably heard that WBAY will be debuting HD newscasts at the end of the year. But a promo being run by WFRV seems to make that implication [no video, but outlined here]. Honestly, I thought WLUK would be first out of the gate [i thought most, if not all, of their Ignite system was HD capable].

Could WFRV be first? Could Nexstar be...gasp!...putting money into WFRV?!

While WBAY waits for its next Television by Design package... (that's all they've used since 1993 IIRC, Walls and Balls then a package KMGH used c2001).

Yeah, WBAY is still using that KMGH package, and it's by Giant Octopus, not TVbD. WSET is still using that same package too.

The rumors were true.

Sadly, no screengrab capability on my end. Only the graphics [including weather] have been changed [and what an improvement]. Same music, same VO, same logo, same set.

Glad to see they still have people working behind the scenes and didn't use the HD upgrade as a way to kick everyone to the curb.

Sadly, they are laying off a lot of people. Probably office staff more than anyone---they still very much have a full production crew.

EDIT: [The graphics are] totally Renderon. It looks like it's a modified version of the NECN package.

Somehow, I thought they looked Renderon-like as well. Of course, their look is probably being copied by most everyone else, especially with stations still going HD.....

Found this article from the Press-Gazette, which mentions WBAY's transition as well as what the other stations are doing. Unsurprisingly, WGBA is only in planning stages, at best! I knew WLUK was doing something----I had seen one of their field crews running an HD camcorder about 10 months ago.

Yeah, WBAY is still using that KMGH package, and it's by Giant Octopus, not TVbD. WSET is still using that same package too.

I had no idea other stations picked up the KMGH 2002 graphics let alone were still using them. Was that package really done by GO? I always thought it was done in-house at KMGH, nor does it look like GO to me...

I had no idea other stations picked up the KMGH 2002 graphics let alone were still using them. Was that package really done by GO? I always thought it was done in-house at KMGH, nor does it look like GO to me...

If you're referring to this package, it used to be on the GO site several years ago.

KMGHgraphics.jpg

WBAYgraphics.jpg

WSETgraphics.jpg

Archived