WPHL Restarting News Department?

Jess

Laura Nachman picked up on a bunch of interesting job postings over at PHL17.com. Apparently, they're staffing up for something.

There are openings currently for a "Host/Producer", a "News Producer", and three "MultiMedia Journalists" (read: one man bands). All of them mention a "morning show", but are obviously vague on what said morning show entails. It doesn't appear to be Trib's NewsFix format, as all of the openings appear to involve on-air work in some capacity.

Right now, they air "Better Philly" at 7am and an NBC 10-produced 10pm news. What this means for either is unknown, though I've kind of been expecting that 10pm to go away or change.

My initial guess, and this is a guess, is that this would be a Tango Traffic (the traffic service on 17.4) morning news. They are coming from the same facilities, and probably the same people, as WPSG's old "WakeUPNews". But I also think they wouldn't be hiring anyone else, so what this means is anyone's guess.

• 2 months later...

I think we're fooling ourselves if we think it's a newly firmed commitment to a news department there. This looks like a Tribune idea done at really low cost, and probably not a real competitor to the established morning news stations.

Actually, the sales tape(!) which was also uploaded to Vimeo sums up the station in five minutes. Heavy promotion is given to the syndicated comedies and the Phillies. The 10pm WCAU news gets a brief mention, alongside some longer clips of what appears to be the EyeOpener intro. The daytime talk shows are given more of a spotlight than "prime". The words "MyNetworkTV" are not mentioned.

Basically, Tribune is running 17 as a classic, traditional independent station. That it happens to run MyNetworkTV programming and has co-opted their logo is inconsequential.

• 2 weeks later...

I caught the premiere as well. Local breaks seem to come every 15 minutes with weather and either local headlines or some kind of feature report (the premiere had a piece on Eastern State Penitentiary that abruptly cut to commercial in the middle of it). The national portion is light and relatively fast paced (viral video, 7 billionth baby born, email & twitter segments, celebrity news, etc) with the occasional toss to a host who gives a brief rundown of actual national/world news stories . I see it as an alright alternative to the other major morning programs, something entertaining to flip to during commercials. Also notable was the (triumphant?) return of Philly's favorite badboy newsman Larry Mendte, as one of his syndicated reports was teased during the portion I caught.

Archived