Changes at WCMH

10Viewer

On the weather side of things, there have been some strange changes at WCMH, which was purchased by Media General last year.

Last month, they dropped the "NBC 4 WeatherPLUS" designation for "Storm Team 4" and the logo just like the other MG stations. Then, at the beginning of sweeps this month, they introduced a new weather podium where the weather desk was since 2002. Funny thing is, the podium doesn't match the anchor desk at all and looks out of place.

Then, this week, I notice they have a guy doing "tag team" weather with Columbus Weather King Jym Ganahl. The new guy is Dave Tygar (sp?) from Youngstown. I was watching today and all of a sudden this guy comes on in the middle of Jym's forecast and does his thing in front of the chroma key and then throws it back to Jym in the Weather Center for the 7 day. I don't recall them introducing the new guy or anything.

It was very awkward. I mean, that pretty much eliminates the reason I watch Jym Ganahl, to see the whole forecast. I don't want someone jumping in at the middle of his presentation to do their own presentation and then throw it back to Jym at the Weather Center for the 7 day.

I don't know why they are doing this, other than the fact that 10TV has so far succeeded with Chris Bradley and seems to be doing better in the ratings than WCMH. And Channel 6 hasn't skipped a beat with their new chief met.

Then, this week, I notice they have a guy doing "tag team" weather with Columbus Weather King Jym Ganahl. The new guy is Dave Tygar (sp?) from Youngstown. I was watching today and all of a sudden this guy comes on in the middle of Jym's forecast and does his thing in front of the chroma key and then throws it back to Jym in the Weather Center for the 7 day.

It might have been "suggested" by MG. I don't know if WSLS was the first (or only) MG station to do that, but they did something very similar with Jamey Singleton and Marc Lamarre. I'm not sure if they still do it in the same capacity, but they have two mets there during the evening newscasts.

On a related NBC/MG note, I noticed WNCN using the MG Package as a franchise the other night. They are still using the NBC Collection otherwise, though.

It's just a bit too weird to have 2 mets doing the same forecast. Now, if there is severe weather, it works well. But if you're just doing the 3 or 4 minute weather forecast at 6pm on a normal day, it just doesn't make any sense to me. Especially when this new guy has no history in the market compared to Ganahl, who has been at WCMH since 1979 and weekend met Ben Gelber, who has 27 years at WCMH. The new guy's style just doesn't gel well at all with these experienced mets.

They also now have the "Live Titan" system. I believe they used to own and operate their own radar but since they got this new system they just use the NWS regional sweep and don't utilize their own radar at all. I will say that 10TV, which I know for a fact operates its own radar, also hardly ever uses it on air anymore either.

Funny how WCMH still uses "The Tower" and hasn't switched to the MG Package that I believe every other MG station has. WCMH is still using the NBC O&O graphics they debuted in 2005. Actually, I wouldn't mind a switch to the MG music package.

Yeah, I've never really liked this "NBC 4 News", except they just say "NBC 4 at 6, Working For You". They shouldn't have dropped "NewsChannel 4" in the first place. Going back to it would be a good move.

They are supposed to debut a much delayed streetside studio later this year. I assume they will probably also get a new studio set.

I just think the newly invigorated 10TV just beats the pants off of WCMH any day. Without Jym Ganahl, WCMH wouldn't be half as competitive. And now that they are doing this tag team crap, I wonder how viewers are going to react... I don't think it will be positive.

On a related NBC/MG note, I noticed WNCN using the MG Package as a franchise the other night. They are still using the NBC Collection otherwise, though.

Yeah... last month while I was south of the Raleigh market I could pick up WNCN over-the-air, and I heard the MG theme with the NBC chimes in a news promo (the 7pm news promo that goes like "what are you doing at 4/5/6").

On the weather side of things, there have been some strange changes at WCMH, which was purchased by Media General last year.

Last month, they dropped the "NBC 4 WeatherPLUS" designation for "Storm Team 4" and the logo just like the other MG stations. Then, at the beginning of sweeps this month, they introduced a new weather podium where the weather desk was since 2002. Funny thing is, the podium doesn't match the anchor desk at all and looks out of place.

Then, this week, I notice they have a guy doing "tag team" weather with Columbus Weather King Jym Ganahl. The new guy is Dave Tygar (sp?) from Youngstown. I was watching today and all of a sudden this guy comes on in the middle of Jym's forecast and does his thing in front of the chroma key and then throws it back to Jym in the Weather Center for the 7 day. I don't recall them introducing the new guy or anything.

It was very awkward. I mean, that pretty much eliminates the reason I watch Jym Ganahl, to see the whole forecast. I don't want someone jumping in at the middle of his presentation to do their own presentation and then throw it back to Jym at the Weather Center for the 7 day.

I don't know why they are doing this, other than the fact that 10TV has so far succeeded with Chris Bradley and seems to be doing better in the ratings than WCMH. And Channel 6 hasn't skipped a beat with their new chief met.

8Viewer, you were close on the name, it's actually Dave Trygar. Dave comes to Capital City after being chief meteroligist at WFMJ-TV in Youngstown. Prior to WFMJ, Dave worked at WNEP-TV, I think.

You don't suppose WCMH would go back to NewsChannel 4 would they?

I've wondered the same thing. It's a definite possibility.

It sounds like they're taking the literal approach to "storm team"...while it has been just a branding tool in other markets. Dave Trygar doesn't seem like the best person to have been considered for this...someone in house like Ben Gelber or Marshall McPeek should have been used and Trygar bumped to the weekends.

Exactly. Jym and Ben frequently work together during severe weather events. They work well together and their presentation styles mimic each other.

But this new guy just isn't at their level.

I just wonder how long this experiment is going to last?

Archived