WXXV (Biloxi MS FOX affiliate) to add NBC and local news to line-up.

montevallomatt

Just as Cable One is trying to decide where to put WLOX's CBS feed, Broadcasting & Cable carried a brief article stating that WXXV will add NBC to its .2 subchannel while moving MY Network to its .3 subchannel.

WXXV expects to start carrying the NBC feed by July 1. The article also stated that WXXV will expand its studio and hire about 20 people to start a newscast on the channels. This will be WXXV's third attempt at a newscast in a market completely dominated by WLOX.

What will become of WDSU? WDSU has taken to calling itself WDSU South Mississippi on Cable One and from what I understand WDSU has an office in Gulfport to sell ads.

Things are getting interesting tv wise on the Mississippi Gulf Coast!

Interesting to note, someone on the Radio-Info.com discussion boards actually mentioned on March 12 (about two weeks before WXXV's announcement), that an NBC affiliate would be coming to Biloxi. See here: http://boards.radio-...topic=208146.20

WXXV's new news department would actually mark the third time that the station had carried a local newscast; according to Wikipedia, it carried a newscast produced by WDBD (during the Jackson station's first run as a Fox affiliate) called Mississippi News Tonight, which was formatted as a statewide newscast, in the early 1990s. The only in-house newscast aired on WXXV was a 9 p.m. newscast that aired in the late '90s/early 2000s (the article didn't say specifically what years it ran). Between this, and News-Press & Gazette Company starting up news departments on existing Fox station KECY/Yuma, AZ and its soon-to-launch Fox affiliate in St. Joseph, Missouri, it kind of makes up for Fox dropping three affiliates that had in-house newscasts last year and WUPW/Toledo about to lose its in-house operation when WTOL starts managing it later this year.

I looked up Cable One's channel lineup for Biloxi, and WDSU/New Orleans is carried on channel 6; I assume since WKRG and WWL-TV won't be dropped once WLOX launches its CBS subchannel, WDSU might not be gone from Cable One either (though as a user on the WLOX thread said, WXXV could enfore the non-network duplication rule to blackout NBC shows on WDSU).

• 2 weeks later...

It is official... FOX network is forcing South Mississippi's Cable One to remove FOX 10 WALA from its cable lineup. This means that FOX 25 WXXV is now the only FOX station in the South Mississippi market. Cable One stresses that this move started with the network.

• 2 months later...
Just as Cable One is trying to decide where to put WLOX's CBS feed, Broadcasting & Cable carried a brief article stating that WXXV will add NBC to its .2 subchannel while moving MY Network to its .3 subchannel.

According to this, My Network will not move to the .3 subchannel and instead will be cable only

http://www.examiner.com/article/wxxv-s-nbc-launch-getting-closer

NBC officially launches on WXXV 25.2, Monday, June 25th. Channel 25.3 is showing up titled "myXXV2" but is dark on my TV's. I'm gonna have to call the station tomorrow. BTW, thanks for linking my article.

• 4 weeks later...

Mississippi News Tonight did exist — the NMSA has two different samples of the newscast open. It used 615's Power News. No samples exist of the late 90s effort (NMSA says 1998 to 2000 with Lattitude's Leading Edge as the theme).

Well, they are on the local channels on DirecTV, replacing WDSU out of New Orleans. That sucks! They are transmitting in 480i, whereas WDSU was in 1080. Downgrade for certain, but in South Mississippi we have gotten used to "hillbilly tv."

WLOX hogging ABC and CBS now WXXV has Fox and NBC talk about a closed market. Might be time for an outdoor antenna and drop the local channels option on Direct.

Might be time for an outdoor antenna and drop the local channels option on Direct.

When I lived in Long Beach I used and OTA for awhile to pick up NOLA stations. It wasn't the most reliable but it worked for the time being. Now, even though I'm in Gulfport now, I may try to go back to an OTA especially to pick up Fox8 which I miss a lot.

Archived