New WPVI late Sunday newscast?

PhillyWatch

Watching the 6pm tonight, Jeff Skversky teased an interview coming up tonight during a "new newscast- Action News at 11:30". Comcast's on-screen guide has "Action News Extra" listed from 11:35 until midnight.

IIRC, a few other ABC O&O's have expanded their Sunday night broadcasts fairly recently. Anybody have any more information?

Not surprising, because the other ABC O&Os have gone to hour-long late newscasts on weekends. 6 seems to be one of the last ones to do it, which doesn't surprise me. The last time the O&Os made a collective news expansion decision - which was adding a 9am hour on Saturday mornings after they let Power Rangers go - WPVI was the last one to add it. And it was announced basically with an ID saying "Action News! Now on Saturday Mornings at 9!"

Interesting, the guides seem to be all over the place. All are listing "Action News Extra" at 11:35, but some have it ending at midnight followed by FYI Philly, some have it ending at 12:05 followed by the Million Dollar Movie. And nobody seems to be listing an expanded Saturday broadcast. I'm actually kind of surprised because last I heard (which was admittedly a year ago I think), the repeat of FYI Philly was handily beating the original sports wrapups on 3 and 10.

For those who saw it last night - did they just do 60 minutes or did they differentiate Action News Extra from Action News?

EDIT: Nevermind. They do what I think they should have done - run the 5:30 rejoin. And they're calling it "Action News at 11:30".... even though it starts at 11:35.

Archived