Article about the upcoming ownership change of WHP CBS21 ...

susquvalleywgal

Everyone:

Here is a really good in-depth article from this morning's Patriot-News (Harrisburg) about the upcoming ownership change to the station. Looks like they are positive at what will come down the line with the new owner. The decision by the FCC on whether or not the transaction will be approved will be made by December 2012 or January 2013.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/08/how_would_the_sale_of_whp-tv_i.html#incart_river_default

-- Matt

I wonder if the Press-Register (sister newspaper to the Patriot-News) will do a similar story about Sinclair's purchase of WPMI and WJTC. Unlike Harrisburg, this could have bigger implications since you have one duopoly swallowing another (since Sinclair already owns WEAR and WFGX in Pensacola).

Then again, it seems the Press-Register has cared less about local television ever since reporter Mike Brantley has been reassigned. Aside from Sinclair's purchase, the last thing they covered was the dismissal of Jim Loznicka from WPMI and the hiring of Derek Beasley to replace him.

Add to the fact that by the end of the month Advance/Newhouse will be trimming the Alabama newspapers it owns (including the P-R) to printing only 3 days a week and laying off hundreds of staffers, the implications of these mergers and consolidations could have a lasting effect on the local media scene.

I don't think WHP will end it's CBS affiliation anytime soon, and I'm thinking that the other stations in the Harrisburg/Lancaster/Lebanon/York might have long-term affiliation agreements with their respective networks. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think WHP will end it's CBS affiliation anytime soon, and I'm thinking that the other stations in the Harrisburg/Lancaster/Lebanon/York might have long-term affiliation agreements with their respective networks. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, Tribune Broadcasting just renewed its affiliation agreement with Fox two weeks ago for six of its seven Fox affiliates (KSWB/San Diego is left off apparently due to a separate affiliation agreement between Fox and Tribune for that station), so WPMT will still be affiliated with that network for the next few years.

Given Albritton's relationship with ABC and the fact that WGAL has been a primary NBC affiliate since day 1, I would say the chances WHP would be anything other than CBS are very slim.

Archived