Ron Zappolo returning to sports; Libby Weaver leaving KDVR

C Block

This is something I would normally post on my own site, but because I don't live in Denver full-time anymore, here's Joanne Ostrow—

http://blogs.denverpost.com/ostrow/2012/09/04/libby-weaver-to-leave-fox31/10717/

Libby Weaver to leave Fox31

Libby Weaver, co-anchor at KDVR-Fox31 for almost 13 years, will leave the station at the end of the year or early in 2013.

Weaver has been half of the longest-lasting anchor team in Denver TV, along with Ron Zappolo, who previously announced his intention to step down.

Zappolo has previously announced his intention to step down as news anchor and return to sports coverage in March 2013 when his contract expires. This summer he marked 35 years in Denver broadcasting.

Ron and Libby have been the lead anchors at KDVR ever since their news department launched in 2000. I've never been a huge fan of Ron, but I've always liked Libby, and the two work well together on TV. Ron seems to have always had his heart in sports anyway, and I presume Libby must either want to spend more time at home or has found a much better gig elsewhere.

As for who will replace them, Jeremy Hubbard is a natural fit. He's a smooth anchor, has experience, and still has a lot of youth in him. Hema Mullur is okay but she's too green for primetime in my opinion.

Let's see. Weaver is returning to Extra and Zappolo is going back to 9News. lol

n some ways, I think new management has been doing the anchor shuffle and Weaver and Zappolo weren't offered much comp.

I don't think we will see Weaver on as anchor in Denver again, but where will Ron go? I am pretty sure he won't sign a new deal with KDVR marking a different capacity. Do you think he might take over weekday mornings at KMGH? I don't see room for him at 9News (Soicher has been bumped to lead, Mackey is on weekends and Wargen on weekday mornings; they're covered) and I certainly don't see anyone showing him the red carpet. Who do you think will take him and at what capacity? Please justify your opinion.

Archived