KALB - Alexandria, LA

tyrannical bastard

www.kalb.com

Essentially, the look is a very mutated version of the WFLA Media General package, and the logo has a similar look to that of former sister station WKRG.

KALB was co-owned with WKRG until 2008, when it was sold off to Hoak Media along with WMBB in Panama City, FL.

Thoughts? I'll give them some slack since they're a small market station and the only game in town that virutally owns the market.....

It's a textbook case of when a parent company cuts a station loose and lets them do their thing....

This open would fit better as an image promo - NOT as the start of a newscast. The theme is also one of the hokiest news themes I've ever heard.

Now, when you think of 'breaking news,' you think of urgent, fast-paced and attention-grabbing, right? I thought so.

As far as the open goes, I think they might have had in mind something along the lines of what WPVI does with its open in using the shots of Cenla area residents ("Cenla" being short for Central Louisiana, for anyone that might ask). But WPVI (and WLS-TV before the late(?) 1990s) applied the people shots much better for their news opens. I can't vouch for KALB's theme, though. I've heard it a few times through these YouTube videos posted of it and it seems better suited for one of those local lifestyle shows that some stations put on in the morning or afternoon, not a newscast. It sounds like a mediocre attempt at a ripoff of WBRZ's 1996 to 2007 news theme. The NewsChannel 5 text moving through the Alexandria skyline also is clearly copied from WNBC's

before they rolled out "Look F" (which were better executed).

Archived