WICU and WSEE first in Erie to HD News

capsgm2002

Lilly Broadcasting pumped $100,000 into new set, graphics, music and equipment into their triopoly of WICU, WSEE and The CW as they beat long time market leader WJET to the punch into HD News.

I don't have a capture card so I don't have any screenshots. You can get a glimpse on http://www.erietvnews.com.

• WICU now uses Gari's NBC - Flagship for opens, bumpers and closes. First News is still used for commercial outros and weather intros... that theme has been around since 1999, I think.
  • WSEE has dropped the "Newswatch" branding after 28 years in favor of "SEE News". Not a big fan of the name.
  • WSEE now uses Gari's This is Your News for opens. Advantage (used since 1994 at WSEE) is still around as the sports bumper and open theme.
  • The CW broadcasts news at 4 and 10, which are shown on WSEE at 6 and 11, respectively.
  • The stations have a standardized graphics package.
  • WICU has reverted back to the bolder 12 logo they used from 1996 until 2009.
  • The first newscasts have been sloppy. Lots of audio issues.

Overall, it's a very good change for WICU and WSEE, who have long been been behind WJET (think WPVI and WNEP like dominance). Erie's newscasts no longer look small market either as all three stations have upgraded in the past 18 months after virtually no changes since the late 90's. Welcome to the 21st century, Erie!

Archived