CBS 2 Traffic Diversion

former newsboy

I meant to bring this up sooner, but...all last week (11/26-11/30) on Channel 2's morning news, a guy named Jon Charles filled-in for Derrick Young on traffic. Usually Chopper 2 fills-in but whatever. Anyway, I recognized him as one of the other traffic tryout finalists, but there was no mention of that (which maybe I can understand). But what I can't understand is why the heck they give him a fake name! Yeah, I did some digging and found his audition tape, along with his real name: Jon HANSEN. I also found that he does some work in Chicago radio and has a few other media gigs in the city...all under his actual moniker. So what's with the alias, Channel 2?

I meant to bring this up sooner, but...all last week (11/26-11/30) on Channel 2's morning news, a guy named Jon Charles filled-in for Derrick Young on traffic. Usually Chopper 2 fills-in but whatever. Anyway, I recognized him as one of the other traffic tryout finalists, but there was no mention of that (which maybe I can understand). But what I can't understand is why the heck they give him a fake name! Yeah, I did some digging and found his audition tape, along with his real name: Jon HANSEN. I also found that he does some work in Chicago radio and has a few other media gigs in the city...all under his actual moniker. So what's with the alias, Channel 2?

Using a fake name is actually something very common in the television/radio business with alot of talent out there. Either some people choose not to use their real name, some to prevent some sort of conflict/confusion with someone at a competitor station/network with the same name, etc. It's done for many various reasons. His reason specifically, I don't know.. But it's done quite more often you'd think..

Using a fake name is actually something very common in the television/radio business with alot of talent out there. Either some people choose not to use their real name, some to prevent some sort of conflict/confusion with someone at a competitor station/network with the same name, etc. It's done for many various reasons. His reason specifically, I don't know.. But it's done quite more often you'd think..

I know what you're saying, but this is different. He doesn't use a fake name. His real name is Jon Hansen. Same as his professional name. When he tried out on Channel 2, his name was Jon Hansen. Everywhere he currently works (Metro Traffic and Total Traffic Network, the Chicago Blackhawks, Gay Chicago TV) his name is Jon Hansen. Channel 2 brings him back and he's Jon Charles. With no explanation to their .00003 morning viewers! It just seems really weird and I'd like to know the reason. And who's idea it was - his or Channel 2's?

Archived