Learning about on-air graphics in Photoshop

Market146

Let me ask. I'm doing mocks for now, but what are some professional strategies I can use in Photoshop to appear more so. My main computer and photoshop is down for at least the next 3 weeks, and designing as a newscast artist is my thing.

Also, can I have an overview of the on-air graphics (as well as overall industry) terms?

A professional strategy is to draw a red rectangle line with a gradient of a bright red in the center... and you get... http://i.ytimg.com/vi/5Cr09oHlHjg/0.jpg Simply, there is no right or wrong way of designing a professional lower third. WNBC used the simple red line for over 15 years (known as the red line era).

For a start, you need to ask... do you want in 16:9 or 4:3? Then you need to have the image with the video size and you will need the safety markers for laying out the lower thirds. Such as safe zones (or a 4:3 safety). As overlaying, a transparent/alpha PNG is the best way to deliver.

Here is one of my lower thirds for a podcast that I do: http://media.vidgle.tv/videos/con-goer/2012/tmode/darrel/tmode2012darrel.jpg

Notice that my graphics are in 4:3 safety with a bug even though it is widescreen. This lower third animates in a Motion video that has an alpha background making it transparent for the video to display in the back.

I mean professional, as in what are the current trends and if there is a "right" way to design an element in Photoshop.

Thank you.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" etc. Everyone has a different opinion of what "right" is, and there are dozens of trends going in every direction at this point. There are dynamic graphics that grow and shrink depending on how much text is there... "Flat" graphics (see Gannett) and worlds full of shiny 3D triangles (Hearst).

I'd take morning traffic's offer and take a look through some real graphics files.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" etc. Everyone has a different opinion of what "right" is, and there are dozens of trends going in every direction at this point. There are dynamic graphics that grow and shrink depending on how much text is there... "Flat" graphics (see Gannett) and worlds full of shiny 3D triangles (Hearst).

I'd take morning traffic's offer and take a look through some real graphics files.

This. You gotta keep in mind graphic design is an art form and it's all open to interpretation. Now your client may give you certain guidelines as to what they may want in a look but usually you have the latitude to design something that you believe delivers what they're looking for.

Archived