Dorner vs SOTU

mre29

Being on the other side of the country, I'm curious: How have the LA stations handled the dual live events of the State of the Union address and what is apparently (and hopefully) the end of the manhunt for Christopher Dorner?

For the duolopies:

KCBS 2 went with State of the Union/ KCAL 9 kept with Dorner coverage

KTTV 11 went with State of the Union/ KCOP 13 went to Dorner coverage

KNBC 4 originally were directing viewers via ticker to tune to 4.2 and the cable channels that 4.2 could be found on with State of the Union coverage. When I switched back to KNBC, they had State of the Union on.

KTLA 5 was scheduled for State of the Union coverage but kept with Dorner coverage the entire time.

KABC 7 went with State of the Union.

Just to add (I know it's not part of the L.A. DMA) but the San Diego stations went with the State of the Union then simulcasted their respective network affiliates from L.A. to cover the police press conference. And, thist was the case for most of the afternoon. KNSD simulcasted KNBC from 1pm to the start of the STOU. The only SD station to stay with Dorner coverage was KUSI. Overall, I thought the stations did a remarkable job covering the situation considering how fluid and dangerous the scene was.

For the duolopies:

KCBS 2 went with State of the Union/ KCAL 9 kept with Dorner coverage

KTTV 11 went with State of the Union/ KCOP 13 went to Dorner coverage

None of those surprise me.
KNBC 4 originally were directing viewers via ticker to tune to 4.2 and the cable channels that 4.2 could be found on with State of the Union coverage. When I switched back to KNBC, they had State of the Union on.

I'm guessing upper management (or, considering that KNBC is an O&O) chimed in and told them to change it. Did the Dorner coverage end up on 4.2?
KTLA 5 was scheduled for State of the Union coverage but kept with Dorner coverage the entire time.

The advantage of being affiliated with but not owned by a network that doesn't have a news department.
KABC 7 went with State of the Union.

Did any of the stations put live streams of their Dorner coverage on their websites during the SOTU?

Thanks for the info!

The only station that I actually checked was KTLA which had streaming video of Dorner coverage.

KNBC on the ticker were telling viewers to tune into nbc4la.com for State of the Union address. Not sure which stream they actually had up.

I would assume that duopolies would have the dorner coverage streaming.

In LA, its common for the news sites to have multiple streams going so I wouldn't be surprised if some had both online.

Since I've been following this story, I was checking in with the live streams all night.

KNBC was running a stream of the SOTU, but by the time I got home (7pm Pacific), they were streaming their coverage. KTLA was also streaming, and the CBSLA.com streaming coverage appeared to be from KCAL. Nothing from KABC.

I mostly watched KNBC because, well, it streams on my iPad, which I can consequently beam to my Apple TV so I can pretend I'm in Los Angeles. Let me tell you, that Comcast streaming tech that NBC picked up is amazing - I'm pretty sure it was in HD. I really wish more companies invested more in their online streams, so they can be viewed on non-Flash devices and not look like crap.

Archived