CNN Keeps Saying Taped Video is LIVE

Geoffrey

CNN has been leaving the "live" bug up a lot while showing video that's not live. I first noticed this during the Dorner cabin coverage so I believe that was two weeks ago.

It's not just that they're slow to remove it or it's only sometimes... It seems consistent when I watch (which is mostly in the evening).

We've seen graphic mistakes but two weeks seems like a long time to not address something like this.

I hope it's not a Zucker mandate. (I think I'm joking.)

Oh yeah I'm stating to notice that now too and it's incredibly annoying! I wonder if it's a type of "ploy" to make it seem as if CNN is brining us a lot of stuff live and then cutting back to them or something odd like that.

...I bet you it's a Zucker change. Make almost everything seem live because that will come off as impressive and very "news-like" to some people. (Or just for the hell of it to fool people.)

It makes sense if you look at other times the "LIVE" bug disappears: when entire programs are tape delayed in their entirety. During a block of live programming, pulling it down whenever you're showing taped content (especially with live announcers) might be confusing to someone.

I guess my point is the program is still "live" even if they're airing tape.

That's not the way the "live" bug has worked in the past... I can only think of instances like maybe ESPN 2 showing tennis where they keep the "live" bug (which is usually very small) up during replays in live broadcasts.

I think it looks corrected tonight.

• 3 months later...

Seeing the CNN segment today about the N-word enraged me enough to come back here and type a comment. WHY THE HELL DO THEY DO THIS?! Don't say on TV that it's footage from YESTERDAY, have in the upper-right hand corner in the tiniest text possible that says "Saturday," YET HAVE THE LIVE BUG UP AT THE SAME TIME! It's incredibly misleading and confusing to the viewer when all of us a sudden the segment ends and it cuts back to someone else.

The whole logic of "the broadcast itself might be live while the segment might not be, so the live bug can stay" doesn't make any damn sense to me. This isn't radio.

Archived