WTAE #1 at 11 PM

Mrtraveler01

I noticed this article which happened to caught my eye and seems to go against the trend of CBS stations being the ones with the highest rated newscast at 11PM.

http://www.wtae.com/news/WTAE-Takes-the-Ratings-Lead-at-11pm/-/9681432/19126380/-/yg0oe8/-/index.html

What is WTAE doing right to make up for the weaker lead-in that WTAE gets compared to KDKA?

IMO, I think those snazzy new Hearst graphics gave them a boost in the ratings. They have more movement than KDKA's CBS O&O package, and they're obviously newer than WPXI's now 5 year-old graphics which are getting boring. The L3s have no animation at all, which is suprising considering they're Hothaus! I hope they look into getting some new graphics and music soon to keep up with KDKA and WTAE.

• 2 weeks later...
People do not watch newscasts for the graphics.

Pittsburgh is a really interesting market - very very competetive and you never know who is going to be number one and for how long.

And to show for what he just said, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette showed basically all the numbers and how really tight the market is.

20130302tv_news_ratings492.png

Diagram Courtesy of the Post-Gazette.

Sinclair, if you really care about buying television stations left and right including WPXI's adjacents in the Alleghenies & the Ohio Valley, you can pour all that capital in reinstating in-house news operations on Channel 53.

Archived