Sinclair could acquire Titan Television

CircleSeven

On this Good Friday, it appears Sinclair has striked again with another station group acquistion. This time its the good chunk of stations that were formerly owned by Pappas Telecasting, including its flagship KMPH in Fresno. TVNewsCheck states today that they have "signed a letter of intent and is conducting due diligence" to acquire the Titan Broadcast Management Group, based on multiple reports. Sinclair's #1 head honcho David Smith and COO of the new Chesapeake Steve Pruett couldn't be reached for comment about this matter.

Should the deal happens, this will give Sinclair a triopoly (WCWG with WXLV/WMYV) in the Piedmont Triad. In El Paso, KDBC could very well be the sister of KFOX. Also Sinclair would be the second new owner in town (KMPH/KFRE), after Nexstar acquired Fresno's KGPE & KSEE.

On this Good Friday' date=' it appears Sinclair has striked again with another station group acquistion. This time its the good chunk of stations that were formerly owned by Pappas Telecasting, including its flagship KMPH in Fresno. [i']TVNewsCheck[/i] states today that they have "signed a letter of intent and is conducting due diligence" to acquire the Titan Television Broadcast Group, based on multiple reports. Sinclair's #1 head honcho David Smith and COO of the new Chesapeake Steve Pruett couldn't be reached for comment about this matter.

Should the deal happens, Sinclair's largest station will be in San Francisco, and will give them a triopoly (WCWG with WXLV/WMYV) in the Piedmont Triad. In El Paso, KDBC could very well be the sister of KFOX. Also Sinclair would be the second new owner in town (KMPH/KFRE), after Nexstar acquired Fresno's KGPE & KSEE.

I am guessing that Sinclair is swallowing up Small TV Groups including one in San Francisco and adding more as it goes. What are we up to now 115 plus stations for Sinclair? and also, why on earth would there be any reason to have a triopoly in the Piedmont Triad?. I would like to see the filings on the whole group. I would be happy that Sinclair would stay out of Kansas City Missouri, They used to own a television station there until it was sold to make a duopoly in 2005.

TVNewsCheck has made a correction. It's the markets of Greensboro, Fresno, Omaha, El Paso & Sioux City that's affected. The other markets Titan operates including The San Francisco spanish stations KTNC & KCNS, Independent Houston Station, KUBE & WZME in Connecticut are owned or going to be owned by NRJ TV (another Spectrum Speculator). Those stations are not affected. Also not affected is Ellis Communications Anaheim station KDOC 56.

Now this makes me think this. Should Sinclair acquire the Lincoln & Yuma Pappas stations, since they're about to get the former Pappas stations? They're the only two markets where Pappas current have a newscast. All the other stations are dying stations, prone to those hungry Spectrum Speculators.

Pappas's stations have been mired in gunk because of the bankruptcies.

KSWT is sorta viable, but their market is really tiny and there are now three news operations in it. It's probably one of the better stations in that group despite being in DMA 170 or so.

Pappas's stations have been mired in gunk because of the bankruptcies.

KSWT is sorta viable, but their market is really tiny and there are now three news operations in it. It's probably one of the better stations in that group despite being in DMA 170 or so.

At least KSWT(DT) is better in DMA 170 newswise.

Well, I never thought I'd see the day that KDBC and KFOX were owned by the same company. At least KFOX can share its news department with KDBC now.

Well' date=' you are correct! All KDBC has to do is...Get rid of the Local Marketing Agreements and those two would work side by side. I would physically think that It's going to happen once the sale is done.[/font']

Wouldn't this create a structure similar to the WAWS-WTEV virtual duopoly in Jacksonville? And wouldn't this also create one of the few, if not the first, instances in which one station in an SSA with one station gets transferred into an SSA with another? KTSM had maintained a pseudo shared services agreement with KDBC.

Incidentally, I'm not sure that KDBC and KFOX would consolidate operations, considering Sinclair had chosen not to consolidate its San Antonio and Mobile clusters on account that two of the stations in each cluster involve a Big Four affiliate (although Sinclair does maintain a few consolidated operations between Big Four affiliates from previous purchases and operational agreements).

Wouldn't this create a structure similar to the WAWS-WTEV virtual duopoly in Jacksonville? And wouldn't this also create one of the few' date=' if not the first, instances in which one station in an SSA with one station gets transferred into an SSA with another? KTSM had maintained a pseudo shared services agreement with KDBC.

Incidentally, I'm not sure that KDBC and KFOX would consolidate operations, considering Sinclair had chosen not to consolidate its San Antonio and Mobile clusters on account that two of the stations in each cluster involve a Big Four affiliate (although Sinclair does maintain a few consolidated operations between Big Four affiliates from previous purchases and operational agreements).

Me neither, but they either they consolidate the news ops (and not spend that much at all) OR hire a morning crew for KDBC AND construct a new studio complex for them (as they share the building with KTSM.) I guess we'll all see when Sinclair takes over..

Wouldn't this create a structure similar to the WAWS-WTEV virtual duopoly in Jacksonville? And wouldn't this also create one of the few' date=' if not the first, instances in which one station in an SSA with one station gets transferred into an SSA with another? KTSM had maintained a pseudo shared services agreement with KDBC.

Okay, You're right on with the virtual duopoly part in Jacksonville.

I physically think that:1) why on earth would one synchronize one SSA Station with another one acting as the Senior Partner in this duopoly. Look at Nashville, Tennessee for example, Sinclair owns three stations that It should have sold one of them to another corporation and look at Topeka, Kansas, The NBC and FOX affiliates are Owned and operated by LIN Media, while the ABC affiliate is owned by Vaughan Media LLC that is controlled%2

It looks like we may not have a triopoly, at least for one station being sold.

From the paperwork posted this morning (4/1), WCWG is being sold by Lockwood Broadcast Group for $2.75 mil.

Well, that's a good start to begin with and the awesome news is, NO Sinclair Triopoly to begin with! Did you mean WCWG-TV is sold to Lockwood Broadcasting Group for $2.75mil. I believe that Lockwood Broadcasting Group has more competent people to run stations in the right direction instead of the two broadcasting groups that are incompetent.

• 3 weeks later...

From this paperwork, posted within the last half an hour, it appears that Sinclair's shell Cunningham Broadcasting will acquire KDBC from Titan Broadcast Group for $21 mil. Just as how confusing this is in El Paso, It appears that KDBC will continue its JSA with ComCorp station, KTSM. Now Nexstar is poised to acquire the ComCorp stations, and Sinclair is acquiring KFOX from Cox. Let see how this goes.

• 2 weeks later...

apparently according to the rbr.com article that I read earlier this week, it clear states that a common 314 stock transfer that would send KDBC-TV to Sinclair, however, the executive buyer of the license is Cunningham Broacasting Group headed by Michael Anderson. However, I don't know about the SSA agreement between KDBC/KTSM since Nexstar Broadcasting Group has bought out all of the ComCorp Stations.

Archived