The NBC 10 Thread

Jess

Since 10 is adding reporters, gadgets, and gizmos on what seems like a weekly basis these days, I figured instead of making a thread for each thing, let's have one thread for everything. Anchor additions/changes/replacements, graphics changes, and other stuff like that still merits its own thread, but general discussion can go here.

And there's a lot worth discussing about NBC 10 these days. Rich Uncle Comcast has been pouring money and resources into their flagship television station*, and the effort is really showing in the on-air product. This is the best they've been since at least their late 90s/early 2000s Mendte/Chenault/Bolaris peak, and I'd go so far to say that quality wise it rivals the product they were putting out under CBS in the late 80s/early 90s.

And yes, the other stations won't be left out. I'll be making threads for them as well.

---

*Note that I said the Comcast flagship. Yes, yes, I know that WNBC is technically the NBC flagship. But the amount of investment Comcast has put into WCAU far outweighs what they've done with the other O&Os. 10 also seems to have a lot of latitude to do things their way - I think most of the graphics are now done at 10, Artworks Texas is barely used, and it's probably stretching to call their graphics "Look F". And when you send three people to a breaking news story that's way out of state, more than the other stations combined, there has to be a better term than just "the NBC O&O in Comcast's hometown".

I'll start by mentioning their coverage of the Oklahoma tornadoes. It's been above and beyond what every other station has done. They've sent Keith Jones, Sheena Parveen, and Daralene Jones - arguably their top three amongst the newer talent - to the scene. And it's an effort to get a live shot out of there - they've had to rely on flaky mobile technology. Having a meteorologist actually on the scene is a nice thing to have, and Sheena's reports are backed up by Glenn's excellent-as-usual analysis at home. And they've been able to get nice footage. 10 actually got footage of a child's photograph, partly ripped but clearly recognizable, and it has to be one of the signature shots of the whole thing.

Oh, they've added one more thing.

capture_20130522_141726-300x168.jpg

Hellooooooooo Nurse.

Why, yes, yes, it is a Perceptive Pixel touchscreen in line with WPVI and KYW. It's not quite as big as the Big Board, but the UI is utterly gorgeous and it's a more intuitive way to showcase social media content than just throwing a graphic up on the screen. I look forward to seeing more of it, as well as seeing what wacky name they come up with for this. (Look, the chopper is called "SkyForce", the weather is "NBC 10 First Alert Weather", they kind of have to do it at this point. Touch 10, anyone?)

(Look, the chopper is called "SkyForce", the weather is "NBC 10 First Alert Weather", they kind of have to do it at this point. Touch 10, anyone?)

They could even have an image campaign composed by Gari: "Reach out and Touch 10!"

:party:

• 1 year later...

Archived