Rambling Denver market observations...

C Block

I've been away for a while, but one of the things I've noticed is that KUSA has named Kyle Clark the 10pm anchor in addition to him being named the 6 & 9pm anchor a while ago. His Twitter bio mentions this, but I haven't found much elsewhere. When did this happen, and is Mark Koebrich phasing himself out?

Also, I see KCNC is sticking with that awful tabloid feel and ancient cuts of the Enforcer, among other things, while KDVR was caught in a hoax...

I'm glad Kyle is lead, but it won't last long for long. He's on his way up. He'll be leaving in a few years to a bigger market, probably Chicago. I don't think Mark is going anywhere, yet. Maybe in the long term Mark is phasing himself out for retirement and I dislike to sound callus, but I won't miss him

I think I found the answer. It looks like he was promoted to the 10pm relatively recently:

https://twitter.com/KyleClark/status/337755901878480896

@KyleClark: Thanks for keeping @9NEWS at 10pm #1 & growing since last year. @AdeleArakawa, @KathySabine9 & I appreciate it. @DrewSoicher doesn't care.

https://twitter.com/KathySabine9/status/337758037714534401

@KathySabine9: @KyleClark @9NEWS @AdeleArakawa @KathySabine9 Right on dude! Glad to have you on the team!

Either way, good for him. He, along with a lot of the newer hires, have injected a lot of energy into KUSA. I used to hate watching them growing up, but I really like the news product they have now. I know he's been offered national promotions already, but it really says a lot that he seems happy staying here for now.

Ancient Enforcer cuts? I thought KCNC was using the NG2 stuff all the other stations picked up...

Sometime late last year, they dropped the standard O&O open on the 5, 6, and 10pm newscasts in favor of a short montage of various video footage of the teased stories. It's very similar to the

, only the anchor reading the copy isn't in shot, and it uses a severe but old cut of the Enforcer. The bumpers and commercial playoffs have been using the main original cut of the Enforcer (
) as well as some other fossils. The noon newscast still uses the NG2 music and O&O open. I'm not sure what the morning newscast does (I think they may still use the O&O open too), but all the morning promos use News in Focus. I'll have to eventually get around to uploading the new evening opens.

These unorthodox opens and older music are also coupled with them doing more standup shots (in an already small studio), using a magic wall plasma for a number of stories, and hyping up the car-with-a-broadband-signal thingy. It seems really off-putting for the perennially modest KCNC, which has never really experimented much at all with their presentation, but I guess it's part of their recent effort to appear harder-hitting. The newscast is otherwise the same and is only tabloid in tone, but they've also really been trying to stress their investigative and francise reporting, which isn't bad I suppose.

In short though, I guess I feel the way about Denver and KUSA the same way you do about Philadelphia and WPVI...

Archived