WFAA tops May book

DFWTVNews30

Dallas Numbers: (From unclebarkey.com). These numbers are Households only. The demographics reflect the same trend but showing KDFW & WFAA essentially tied for first in the mornings with KDFW having the slight edge. Households (shown below) show WFAA first @ 5,6, & 10 by relatively wide margins. It should be noted WFAA has a larger audience at 6pm than its closer competitor, KXAS, has at 10pm.

6am:

KDFW 3.9

WFAA 3.4

KXAS 3.3

KTVT 1.3

5pm:

WFAA 6.6

KXAS 4.0

KDFW 3.0

KTVT 2.3

6pm:

WFAA 7.4

KXAS 4.7

KDFW 3.7

KTVT 3.5

10pm:

WFAA 8.8

KXAS 7.1

KTVT 5.1

KDFW 4.2

KXAS has lost nearly 30% of its audience in the morning and at 10 and nearly 20% of its audience at 5 & 6 from a year ago. Most people regard KXAS as the worst newscast in town. Just a year ago they were a solid #1 in the mornings and at 10 but they've plummeted severely. It should also be noted that former KCTV News Director Regent Ducas took over KTVT in an effort to revive the sagging ratings and the May book shows an even more decline since he took over. He instituted a "First five Minutes" campaign and it consists of Crime, Tragedy, Fires, and Car Wrecks the same formula that KXAS has been using for years. WFAA, on the other hand, showcasts Enterprise Reporting in which it gives a more meaningful newscast geared to specific areas of the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex without an emphasis on Crime.

I didn't know the old KCTV news director went to KTVT. All I have to say is get ready for more tabloid journalism on KTVT because that is basically what KCTV5 news is. Regardless of that, it has been a ratings leader in the past and is in close competition with rating powerhouse KMBC. Maybe he might give WFAA a run for its money...or not. We'll have to see.

Guest wfaa8fan

Well DFW already has a few tabloid stations (KXAS and KDFW). KTVT is just having trouble finding what the viewers really want to see...

wow, i'm surprised about KDFW. i figured they'd be the ones giving WFAA a run for their money, not crappy ol' KXAS. When I was younger I liked WFAA (just as I do now), but because they were the home of the mavericks, I would watch KTVT more often. Most of the time I watched KDFW in the morning (for Good Day, only morning news...i don't count GMT) and @ 9(don't get me started on KDAF)

Wow, somebody ACTUALLY BEAT WFAA? Yeah, sure, it's only the morning news, and it's a .5 margin, but still: I thought WFAA was invincible. I guess I was wrong.

For KDFW to beat WFAA, that i'm not surprised about, simply because of like I said in my previous post, Good Day. Good Day lasts longer than KXAS, WFAA, & KTVT. Keeps people staying tuned, because they know you're not going to national & only national news, but that you're staying with local news mixed in with a few national news stories sprinkled in.

don't get me started on KDAF

Agreed. I've said it before and I'll say it again: KDAF (and KXAS too, while I'm at it) are so far in the ditch in terms of viewership and newscast quality that the only thing worse at this juncture that could happen to either one is that they were to be sold to Sincrap.

If I ever won the lottery, I would see about buying KDAF and taking it over, just so I can give their news division the makeover it so richly needs.

don't get me started on KDAF

Agreed. I've said it before and I'll say it again: KDAF (and KXAS too, while I'm at it) are so far in the ditch in terms of viewership and newscast quality that the only thing worse at this juncture that could happen to either one is that they were to be sold to Sincrap.

If I ever won the lottery, I would see about buying KDAF and taking it over, just so I can give their news division the makeover it so richly needs.

Agreed. Someone needs to put up some competition to KDFW's Good Day and I can see KDAF (if they get the makeover you mentioned) competing against KDFW.

Archived