What are my options for motion graphics?

Brain

Hello, I graduated high school with a secondary diploma for high school-level technical training in graphic design and communications (both the same class). I should have taken art/design instead, which there was a separate class for and was more aimed I guess.

But anyway, I lost focus on that original goal and I want to regain focus after a couple years. I want to design preferably for multimedia, TV and web broadcasting. I know that if I have any questions, I'll ask. I have a plenty.

And what software do I need to learn in order to start out with this?

Hello, I graduated high school with a secondary diploma for high school-level technical training in graphic design and communications (both the same class). I should have taken art/design instead, which there was a separate class for and was more aimed I guess.

But anyway, I lost focus on that original goal and I want to regain focus after a couple years. I want to design preferably for multimedia, TV and web broadcasting. I know that if I have any questions, I'll ask. I have a plenty.

And what software do I need to learn in order to start out with this?

Ideally, you should consider Adobe Photoshop (PS) and Adobe Illustrator (AI) for print design. There are free tools that accomplish the same thing (Inkscape, GIMP, etc.) but PS & AI offer the most. PS and AI are, likewise, very expensive, but I know that Adobe offers subscription pricing through their Creative Cloud service.

For broadcast design, I normally use Adobe After Effects and Cinema 4D; however, there are other tools you can use for 3D design, such as Autodesk 3DS Max Design ($) and Blender (free).

That all being said, I don't use these programs very often and I see motion graphic design as a hobby, so maybe someone else in the TVNT community can further assist you. Plus, there are likely many other good programs that you can use; this is all I remember off the top of my head.

Best of luck!

A hobby was all I originally intended. Did not mean to get ahead of myself, sorry.

Thank you. What about GIMP? What use does GIMP have other than photograph editing?

I know people use it for graphic design, but it's solely bitmap based.

Archived