WJCL/WTGS Savannah drops "The Coastal Source"

Guest NewsHound

Guest NewsHound

This may be old news but I came across the WJCL/WTGS website while looking through LIN stations, and they both revert to "WJCL.com", also WJCL/WTGS are using new graphics and new branding. WTGS has a poorly designed FOX O&O style logo and WJCL has a new rounded rectangle logo I quite like that says "WJCL News". The new slogan is "Working for You", but noting how many times these people have reinvented themselves over the years, I hope this finally "works for them".

http://www.wjcl.com

You may remember this station was once on a season of "Making News" from the TV Guide Channel a few years back. It was shortly thereafter purchased by New Vision which in turn was purchased by LIN.

the "WJCL News" logo looks like a blatant ripoff of the KVUE logo.

Having said that, WJCL has definitely come a long way since the "Making News" show. More staff, new studios, new management, and new ownership (both New Vision and LIN) have made the station much more viable than it was under Piedmont ownership (they were an awful penny-pinching ownership group, as the show exposed).

These changes seem to be of Les Vann's making.

sorry for double post

I found this article from the Savannah Morning News (who they share a building with) and WJCL had a launch party for their new look on September 23.

http://savannahnow.com/accent/2013-09-29/wjclwtgs-holds-party-launch-new-look

I also notice their graphics are very similar in design to the Tribune Fox graphics and in motion, feel and layout to the KHON package. With the demise of GO which is where LIN got the majority of their graphics, I think they have brought that in-house now. LIN has a corporate "Manager of On-Air Image and Design" now, Kathy Mosher-Boule' who used to work for FX Group. Explains that their sets still come from FX.

Archived