How Would You Change The Way NFL is Shown On TV?

jmkcool2002

I think a fantasy broadcast or an NFL version of "Match of the Day" would be intriguing. The ultimate thing I would like to see though is Sky Sports Soccer Saturday adapted to the NFL with a crew full of chemistry and excitement. What would you guys do?

Shamless Plug: I wrote about it extensively if you wanna check it out: http://jmanmediazone.blogspot.com/2013/12/sports-media-post-new-ways-to-watch.html?spref=tw

Before anyone says anything... I could see this getting out of hand and maybe this will need moved to the Speculatron.

Anyway, if I could change one thing and one thing only, it would be to find a way to air every single NFL game. Every single Sunday I see angry posts on EVERY affiliate's Facebook cursing them out on why they should be airing the Steelers and should be airing the Ravens... or whatever. If someone moves from San Diego to Boston and they want to see a San Diego game, but they can't, they should be able to have that option. Find a way to air them on subchannels or something. I know I've seen WGCL do that with March Madness.

The NFL is very controlling over their broadcasts. All networks airing the game must close with that certain piece of music, all networks air the same copyright disclaimer, etc. Take a page from the NBA, they leave it up to the teams. Like here during the Spurs games, they let a local lawyer do it. The one the lawyer does is funnier than the NFL's generic disclaimer for instance. I understand that's trivial, but it shows you how much pull the NFL has with their broadcasts.

The NFL should loosen up and let the networks do the decision making. After all, they have to pay ridiculous amounts to show these games.

Before anyone says anything... I could see this getting out of hand and maybe this will need moved to the Speculatron.

Anyway, if I could change one thing and one thing only, it would be to find a way to air every single NFL game. Every single Sunday I see angry posts on EVERY affiliate's Facebook cursing them out on why they should be airing the Steelers and should be airing the Ravens... or whatever. If someone moves from San Diego to Boston and they want to see a San Diego game, but they can't, they should be able to have that option. Find a way to air them on subchannels or something. I know I've seen WGCL do that with March Madness.

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell this happens. They make too much money from the NFL Sunday Ticket for that to happen.

What I would like to see is a rule that stations can change out of blowouts that don't involve the home team to more favorable games. While most of the country was watching the Bears-Packers thriller the other day, we here in Charlotte were stuck with the Saints-Bucs snoozefest and only got to see the final play of the Bears-Packers game. I understand why they scheduled this over the Bears in the first place due to potential playoff implications with the Panthers (that were resolved when the Panthers won), but after it was apparent the Saints would win, they should have been able to switch to the more attractive game.

The NFL is very controlling over their broadcasts. All networks airing the game must close with that certain piece of music, all networks air the same copyright disclaimer, etc. Take a page from the NBA, they leave it up to the teams. Like here during the Spurs games, they let a local lawyer do it. The one the lawyer does is funnier than the NFL's generic disclaimer for instance. I understand that's trivial, but it shows you how much pull the NFL has with their broadcasts.

The NFL should loosen up and let the networks do the decision making. After all, they have to pay ridiculous amounts to show these games.

I actually like this the way it is. Hearing that music gets me excited because it means the game is about to start. The new NFL copyright they play in the 3rd quarter is nice, too.

NFL Sunday Ticket on cable. Or the internet.

That is all.

DirecTV's exclusive with NFL Sunday Ticket is totally absurd. Sadly it looks like it's destined to remain that way in perpetuity. I'm lucky enough to live in the hometown of my team, but there are the occasional Sundays when I want to watch a game with playoff implications that's not available in my market. I'd like to be able to watch it without immediately infecting my HTPC with a virus as what happened the last time I went to one of those sketch offshore streaming sites.

DirecTV's exclusive with NFL Sunday Ticket is totally absurd. Sadly it looks like it's destined to remain that way in perpetuity. I'm lucky enough to live in the hometown of my team, but there are the occasional Sundays when I want to watch a game with playoff implications that's not available in my market. I'd like to be able to watch it without immediately infecting my HTPC with a virus as what happened the last time I went to one of those sketch offshore streaming sites.

The NFL's thing with exclusives period is bullshit. They insist on one exclusive license for everything, from clothing to soup to beer to video games. The latter pisses me off especially because Madden's been the only game in town since Madden NFL 06, and many of their releases since then have been lacking. Madden NFL 14 25 on PlayStation 4 still - still! - isn't as fun or playable as ESPN NFL 2K5 on Playstation 2.

For many of us in Philly, we can't get DirecTV. Not because of restrictions on having a dish, but because Comcast still will not offer CSN Philly to satellite. Which means that we can't watch the Flyers, Sixers, or most Phillies games if we get DirecTV. I wouldn't necessarily get DirecTV if CSN was on there - I'm plenty happy with Fios - but that's a major sticking point for a lot of people.

I do, however, really like NFL RedZone, and that really does satiate my appetite for gridiron. But still, I can get streams to all the other major sports for reasonable fees, and I can stream every English Premier League game. When I can more easily get European Football than NFL Gridiron, that's a problem.

I think a fantasy broadcast or an NFL version of "Match of the Day" would be intriguing. The ultimate thing I would like to see though is Sky Sports Soccer Saturday adapted to the NFL with a crew full of chemistry and excitement. What would you guys do?

Shamless Plug: I wrote about it extensively if you wanna check it out: http://jmanmediazone.blogspot.com/2013/12/sports-media-post-new-ways-to-watch.html?spref=tw

They already have an NFL version of "Match of the Day". It's called "Inside The NFL". Subscribe to Showtime.

NFL Sunday Ticket on cable. Or the internet.

That is all.

Umm... you can watch NFL Sunday Ticket streaming online without a DirecTV TV subscription. It's on the down low but, DirecTV offers a NFL Sunday Ticket online and mobile only package. It's intended for people who have line of sight issues. However, they don't come out to verify anything. You simply check a few boxes when you sign up. So, really anyone can sign up for it and they will gladly take your money.

Signup is normally (last 2 seasons) @ www.directv.com/sundayticketspecial. Really doesn't help for this season but, the page is still up right now for you to see. It's usually not active for ordering until 2-3 weeks prior to the start of the season. So, you will get a error message or redirect out of season.

Sportsgeekery also has pretty good overview article on the service. The NFL put a requirement in the last agreement that DirecTV make NFL Sunday Ticket available to subscribers who cannot subscribe to DirecTV service (read: Line of sight issues.) It started in 2009 exclusively for Manhattan residents. They have slowly made it a little more visible to the general public as years go by. It's since been made available nationally. It was also available via PS3 for a couple years (that ended this year due to the NFL's deal with Microsoft.) And, most recently it was made available through a promotion with Madden 25.

To the topic of the thread. The only two things I'd change are:

1. A return of the late season Saturday games. Presumably as part of a package with a half the Thursday night games.

2. NFL Sunday Ticket being made available as a OTT service. Basically, make said package above available to all (except commercial customers) without jumping through hoops.

I almost went ahead with the deal they had with Madden 25 this year, but just ended up getting the standard version instead. (Should have gotten that, since Madden 25... yeahhhhhhhhh.)

I work most Sunday afternoons, so having Sunday Ticket really is a moot point. RedZone hits all the right spots for me, it gets to the action, it doesn't waste time on challenges and lousy games and all. I love RedZone, and if I can only get that, well, it's worth it.

The NFL's thing with exclusives period is bullshit. They insist on one exclusive license for everything, from clothing to soup to beer to video games. The latter pisses me off especially because Madden's been the only game in town since Madden NFL 06, and many of their releases since then have been lacking. Madden NFL 14 25 on PlayStation 4 still - still! - isn't as fun or playable as ESPN NFL 2K5 on Playstation 2.

For many of us in Philly, we can't get DirecTV. Not because of restrictions on having a dish, but because Comcast still will not offer CSN Philly to satellite. Which means that we can't watch the Flyers, Sixers, or most Phillies games if we get DirecTV. I wouldn't necessarily get DirecTV if CSN was on there - I'm plenty happy with Fios - but that's a major sticking point for a lot of people.

I do, however, really like NFL RedZone, and that really does satiate my appetite for gridiron. But still, I can get streams to all the other major sports for reasonable fees, and I can stream every English Premier League game. When I can more easily get European Football than NFL Gridiron, that's a problem.

They already have an NFL version of "Match of the Day". It's called "Inside The NFL". Subscribe to Showtime.

You haven't watch "MOTD" then. I literally would be content with hearing CBS' or FOX's or NBC's actual call of the game but in an extended package with no BTS audio or hosts narrating the highlights. If you watch "MOTD" you'll see why it's different from what "ITNFL" does.

You haven't watch "MOTD" then. I literally would be content with hearing CBS' or FOX's or NBC's actual call of the game but in an extended package with no BTS audio or hosts narrating the highlights. If you watch "MOTD" you'll see why it's different from what "ITNFL" does.

I do watch Match of the Day. Quite often, in fact. I love the format, and when I heard NBC was doing a version of it I knew they were going to nail their Premier League coverage. Both NBC's and BBC's versions are great, though I do prefer the BBC's version.

I know Inside The NFL is different, but I picked that because, honestly, I don't know if TV presentations of the NFL could be given the type of seamless treatment that soccer has. NFL Films can produce something that's a bit more equivalent to that. Plus, any excuse to give them work is a good one, considering how much they disemboweled NFL Films after they launched NFL Network.

I think above all, though, soccer's a different sport than gridiron football. Soccer has no breaks, it's not focused on statistics or even stars. Soccer matches are like stories - you have to watch a broadcast to appreciate it. You can abridge them, like MOTD, and still get the essence. Unless you're watching NFL Films, you don't get that effect from TV broadcasts of gridiron football.

One thing I would do if I was in charge of the NFL broadcasts, lift the home team blackout rule of course.

I know this has been going on for a number of years now, but I think it's totally ignorant for the league to black out a home team's broadcast in the respective terrestrial market when a game or two is not sold out. So what if that team doesn't sell out a game, oh well, who cares, just let the people in the home team's territory watch their team play for heaven's sake.

Archived