Locally Televised sporting events uplink

Chicago2008

Good afternoon,

I would like to know if locally televised sporting events such as those on CSN,WGN, ETC are microwaved or satellited back? I ask this because the United Center,Wrigley Field, and Comiskey park (now called Cellular Field) have fixed Microwaves. Thank's.

I know for a fact that CSN Philly does not use any satellite uplinks at all. That's how they were able to prevent competing providers from carrying it through that terrestrial loophole.

The away games are sent back to CSN via satellite.

This is a tough one to answer, unless you're very specific about which team and/or stadium -- it could be microwave, satellite or fiber. It is probably dependent on the relationship with the team/broadcaster, the technology that the head engineers prefer, distance from the stadium to the studio/broadcaster, the terrain of the surrounding area, and possibly countless other variables.

For San Francisco Giants games, Comcast has a fiber link between AT&T Park and CSN master control. During the FSN Bay Area days, they would use a mix of satellite and fiber backhaul for the HD feed, which meant that some games were not available in HD on DirecTV or Dish Network thanks to that terrestrial loophole thing. I think that went away when CSN Bay Area moved into their current broadcast facility and they went full-time HD.

Archived