Seeking The Truth On Sinclair

RazorFox

Hi, folks!  I've been offered a job behind the scenes at a Sinclair-owned ABC/Fox duopoly.  I've never worked at a Sinclair station, but all I hear on sites like these is that Sinclair is pure evil.

Is it REALLY that bad?  Or, at the end of the day, is it just like working at any other station?

Well, the starting pay they're offering is by no means spectacular, and it's probably the biggest downside to their offer. I'm wondering, though, if other factors might offset it, like maybe it's a blast to work there, or the people are real nice, or decent perks, etc.

Or am I going to be surrounded by people who have no other goal but to escape?

Stay away. If its the Columbus shop (WSYX/WTTE), I read the ND, Lyn Toland, is a tyrannical bitch.

I dunno. Some might view that as a desirable quality for a news director. You don't get there by being a pussycat.

Stay away. If its the Columbus shop (WSYX/WTTE), I read the ND, Lyn Toland, is a tyrannical bitch.

I dunno. Some might view that as a desirable quality for a news director. You don't get there by being a pussycat.

On the other hand, what does a tyrannical bitch do for morale? *pthhhht* thumbdown.gif

Too true. I've worked under my share of tyrants. I often fear that some of it has rubbed off on me. Don't know if I should be proud of that or ashamed.

(Dr. Phil Voice) How do you feel about it?

Don't go. Period.

I have...well, enemies at Sinclair shops, and that's where they should stay, because their personalities and morale pretty much match the profile of the group as a whole...bipolar, and erratic.

The people at most Sinclair shops are there because they weren't good enough for other shops, and all they're used for is to further the corporate bottom line. If you're not helping to accomplish that goal, or if you're not fitting in with the image the company wants to project...gone. And then what? You'd prolly have a better shot of getting a job elsewhere if you're off-air, but I know very well that Sinclair is the bane of broadcasting's existence, and being at one, in some cases, will scream red flags.

Now if you'd be part of a union...more likely than not if it's an off-air position, especially if it's something like engineering or what have you...it may be different, but even then, I dunno how friendly Sinclair shops are to unions.

Don't do it. You can do better.

-T

Don't go. Period.

Now if you'd be part of a union...more likely than not if it's an off-air position, especially if it's something like engineering or what have you...it may be different, but even then, I dunno how friendly Sinclair shops are to unions.

Don't do it. You can do better.

Coming from a non-union shop, I've heard that union shops pay substantially better, in spite of union dues. The pay Sinclair is offering, however, is definitely not reflective of a union presence.

And thanks for the words of encouragement!

I have...well, enemies at Sinclair shops, and that's where they should stay, because their personalities and morale pretty much match the profile of the group as a whole...bipolar, and erratic.

Bipolar and erratic... Was that just those in leadership/management roles, or everyone? And were they that way before they worked there, or did Sinclair cause them to develop those qualities?

I'm not asking to be facetious. I'm really curious to know if Sinclair takes regular people and turns them into monsters.

As with any company, things vary from area to area -- station to station. I wouldn't write off any company just because of a few bad seeds. Go see things for yourself. Send e-mails. Make phone calls. Most people will be more than willing to share what they know, because after all -- we have all been in the same boat at one time or another.

Sinclair stations tend to be much smaller than traditional operations. BUT, you will have many more opportunities to get your feet wet. Since they do tend to be smaller operations, the budgets will be considerably less. Get used to doing a lot more with a lot less. Forget about HD. Forget about helicopters. Forget about digital newsrooms. The corporate structure just isn't set up to allow that kind of spending. Sinclair will spend money...but only when it is absolutely necessary. Just get use to it. There isn't anything you can do about it.

As a whole, the company isn't that bad. They try REALLY hard to stay innovative and on the cutting edge of the business -- but they haven't had much luck. But, that doesn't keep them from trying. I give them props for that. Most people give up, but Sinclair keeps on trying. They have had some pretty good ideas in the past, but their execution leaves a lot to be desired. In the end, I think they do the best they can with the resources and knowledge they have at their disposal.

A lot of people forget that broadcasting is a business, and businesses exists to make money. Sinclair has obligations to make money. They have to do what they have to do to turn a profit.

The one thing I despise about Sinclair is that most of their managers are taught to be yes men and women. Corporate puppets if you will. They really don't allow anyone to have their own voice. Its kind of -- my way or the highway. For someone like me, who naturally goes against anything forced upon me without reason...it was hell.

To me, a good manager has to be a bitch...to an extent. You can't take no for an answer and have to fight hard for what you believe in. In the end -- if the newsroom rises or falls -- your ass is on the line. Every single decision made, rests on your shoulders. I believe strongly that employees are a companies biggest asset. They represent you and your beliefs each and every day. Hire the best and treat them the best and you will be just fine. Sinclair sometimes forgets this and their newsrooms suffer as a result.

The benefits at Sinclair aren't that bad. Healthcare, 401K, ETC. are pretty standard. Perks are pretty nonexistent, but that's becoming the norm in the industry.

That said, Sinclair probably won't win any awards for the best broadcast company, but things could be worse. I know its an old cliche, but your experience will be exactly what you make it. Do your best and have no regrets.

I don't know about everyone working for the company not being able to get jobs elsewhere or Sinclair being the bane of broadcasting's existence. The majority of people I have encountered from Sinclair stations care deeply about their jobs and the communities they serve and do the very best they can with the tools available to them. Most Sinclair stations struggle just to stay in the running. Don't write them off completely...most of what happens is beyond their control.

Sure there are a few bad seeds -- but what station, and for that matter -- what company doesn't have a few of those bad seeds laying around? Thinking back to every job I've ever had -- there have always been a few running around. The key is to not let those people get to you. If you let them get to you, then they have won. Don't let them win.

Can you do better? I'm sure you can.

BUT-

If your desperate for a job and need to get your feet wet...give them a shot. If you want a position that will allow to gain experience in a variety of positions...give them a shot.

Each station and experience will be different. After all, what's the worst that can happen? You wait out your contract? Things could always be worse.

I owe a lot to Sinclair. I learned more while I worked for them than I ever have in any other position. Sure, a lot of that was learning what NOT to do, but it was still learning. :p

Good luck my friend!

Archived