CBC News revamps lower third graphics

Journalist

CBC News has been known for revamping it's lower third graphics over the past 6 years. Currently they look like this, the CBC News logo on the far edge of the screen and the main masthead just "floating" there.

cbc-vancouver-news.png

Just after 1:00 pm Yukon Time, CBC News has slightly tweaked it's L3s again, this time bring them "more to the edge" the news anchor said on the nightly newscast "Toronto at 4:00:00.327" on TSN.

cbc140401s.png

This also comes on the day where CTV, CHCH and The Weather Network is all starting to use the Comic Sans font package.

This story is exclusive, stay tuned to Sun News Network, Straight from the Heart.

• 1 month later...

Har har har.

Well, today, we did get an actual change: on CBC News Network, they moved the bug to the left. It also no longer shows up in a box (just transparent), but does come up in a reddish box before going away.

It still looks very awkward.

Har har har.

Well, today, we did get an actual change: on CBC News Network, they moved the bug to the left. It also no longer shows up in a box (just transparent), but does come up in a reddish box before going away.

It still looks very awkward.

Watching CBC NN, that does not look right at all. Maybe moving the bug to the top-left like CBC Sports or the top-right like The National when its live on CBC would work because the L3's are already centered the way it is.

They should really go back to the BBC-ish red and black look that they had...I still don't think that the looks that came after that were quite as good. The white and blue and blocky slab serif text just don't fit with the rest of it.

They should really go back to the BBC-ish red and black look that they had...I still don't think that the looks that came after that were quite as good. The white and blue and blocky slab serif text just don't fit with the rest of it.

Its French-language sister Ici RDI still uses red and black. What CBC has right now is a sloppy mess; this is why you don't drink and operate the graphics hub at the same time.

But seriously, I think that if anything, they should actually rip off Gannett (in fact, CBC's old news design was the first thing I thought of when I saw the Gannett look), layout-wise. Just shove the red logo box to the left of it, and replace the existing logo/time/temp rectangle with the show logo.

But seriously, I think that if anything, they should actually rip off Gannett (in fact, CBC's old news design was the first thing I thought of when I saw the Gannett look), layout-wise. Just shove the red logo box to the left of it, and replace the existing logo/time/temp rectangle with the show logo.

This is how they should revamp the layout. Note that the Weather ticker on CBC News Network is restored after it was removed when the graphics went 16:9.

(Local gfx is above, CBCNN gfx is centre, The National gfx is below)

cbc05101402.png?w=800

• 1 year later...

Okay, so CBC this week, did do one of the things I suggested; the red box is now permanent during the daytime/evening blocks. But it's still completely unbalanced looking.

Plus CBC News Network has been downplaying the "CBC News Now" title for its daytime news, which is now being branded in intros as simply "CBC News Network with '[anchor]" with a new horizontal version of the logo.

Archived