Graphic Time Machine: Magazine reviewer critiques CBS ID

Samantha

I ran into this excerpt from Sponsor magazine which ran in December 1951 (page 63). It's from their "TV Commercials..." column, done by Bob Foreman. I'll just leave it here:

SPONSOR: CBS-TV

AGENCY: Direct

PROGRAM: Station Identification, CBS-TV

As a former student of Aristophanes, I'm highly partial to allegory. Toss a bit of classic symbolism my way, and you'll find me contentedly chewing on it for hours. But, doggone, where did CBS get the idea for that horrible-looking three-tone eye, plastered with call letters, that stares out at me nowadays?

Of course, I really know. Someone over at the network figured out that television is visual and the human eye makes it all possible. Clever, huh? Like those bank ads with pictures of Gibraltar in 'em! Despite the cornyness of the concept, I can't conceive of an uglier telop than this bilious-looking orb leering out of the family receivers...

I know a few guys who'll redesign the card for about $7.50. Maybe I can make a deal; in fact, maybe there's a great future in designing these call-letter cards so they look somewhat attractive, can be read without undue effort, and still leave room for the sale of advertising. Most of 'em I've seen so far can stand editing.

Archived