Glitch knocks KXAN newscast to web

djlynch

KXAN was forced to run an abbreviated, web-only version of their 6:00 newscast this evening. They had a brief explanation at the end of the 10:00 broadcast blaming the problems on ongoing construction on their studios. They're on a temporary set while a new main set is built, but the explanation had something about a new "presentation platform," which makes me wonder whether that means HD (or HD-capable equipment) is in the immediate future.

The web clip itself seems to have been done with the full production values of the normal broadcast, including live shots from the field, so I'm not exactly sure what the issue was that kept them off the air.

I think this is the first time I've heard of a news broadcast being done on the web when unable to go out on the over-the-air signal.

From what a friend told me....

Construction crews, which management has working at warp speed to get the stations new set installed, overloaded a few circuit breakers, causing a bunch of fuses to blow in the main control room. The blown fuses just so happened to destroy master controls feed with the studio control room.

Since they couldn't use the live studio feed, they jumped to a "Taxi" rerun and tried to fix it -- but when it became apparent that the problem couldn't be repaired quickly -- they switched to the 2nd feed of "The NBC Nightly News".

The studio control room wasn't affected. All equipment worked just fine -- hence the online broadcast with full graphics, music, etc. They did a whole newscast -- they just couldn't get it from the studio to the air waves.

Considering what they were going up against, I think they did ok. They really didn't have much time to do anything else.

I'm predicting that FX Group is building the new HD Set.

KXAN is owned by LIN right!

Yup! :) My prediction: Can someone say "NBC O&O"? Maybe, pending if I am right on this, it would be nice to have that old KXAS/KXAN partnership like the good old days when KXAS was owned by LIN.

If my prediction holds true that LIN will sell/has already sold KXAN to NBC, that would make Austin ABC station KVUE (owned by Belo) the only Big 4 station in the Texas capital that is not a network O&O. (I know the rumors about CBS selling KEYE-42, but CBS hasn't done that yet, as far as I know, and KEYE still has the CBS O&O website-in-a-can.)

I do not see KXAN becoming an O&O. What I do see happening if LIN decides to sell its stations is KXAS along with KNSD becoming 100% NBC O&O. NBC-U owns 76% of both of these stations, and it would be much easier and cheaper to buy them out completely.

I do not see KXAN becoming an O&O. What I do see happening if LIN decides to sell its stations is KXAS along with KNSD becoming 100% NBC O&O. NBC-U owns 76% of both of these stations, and it would be much easier and cheaper to buy them out completely.

Just curious >> who do you think gets KXAN if NBC doesn't?

Maybe a company that has not been in the broadcasting business before. Cross your fingers that Sincrap doesn't buy it.

Maybe a company that has not been in the broadcasting business before. Cross your fingers that Sincrap doesn't buy it.

Hope they (Sinclair/ sincrap) doesn't get WISH. I would think if Lin held on to some of their station WISH would be one. Also I was looking a KXAN's site, and their graphics need an overhaul big time.

Cross your fingers that Sincrap doesn't buy it.

Oh God, yes! ;D

Hope they (Sinclair/ sincrap) doesn't get WISH. I would think if Lin held on to some of their station WISH would be one. Also I was looking a KXAN's site, and their graphics need an overhaul big time.

Agreed, Agreed, Agreed. Maybe give 168 or Hothaus a call. I like what 168 did for WTHR. Maybe the WTHR graphics with a little Texas red white and blue tweaking would be nice.

Cross your fingers that Sincrap doesn't buy it.

Oh God, yes! ;D

Agreed, Agreed, Agreed. Maybe give 168 or Hothaus a call. I like what 168 did for WTHR. Maybe the WTHR graphics with a little Texas red white and blue tweaking would be nice.

I really don't like WTHR's graphics, the L3 is a little bland, and they've had them for a while.

I just hope to god that NBC-U buys KXAN. With KEYE-TV's new ownership, KTBC became the only station to be O&O. It would be nice to have two O&O's again if NBC buys NBC 36.

It would be better in the long run if KXAN was bought by a private company because they might be willing to invest money into the station. NBC-U is not doing that right now, not for a few years at the very least and if they do decide to invest money into their affiliates. I never understood why people want their station to be an O&O? I don't think its the branding (NBC 36, CBS 42, etc.) What am I missing?

I never understood why people want their station to be an O&O? I don't think its the branding (NBC 36, CBS 42, etc.) What am I missing?

Seriously. It's like a love-fest around here.

If anything, NBCU's more likely to purchase the remaining 24% of KXAS and KNSD.

Archived