Your Guide To Breaking News

Jess

Given what's been happening this week, in Canada and now in Seattle, this is especially relevant.

OnTheMedia posted the Breaking News Consumer's Guide. It's basically what to expect when watching breaking news coverage.

Here's their guide. I've used my own language to clarify/update some things:

1.) In the immediate aftermath, news outlets are going to get things wrong.

2.) Don't trust anything that cites "anonymous sources".

3.) Don't trust anything that cites another news outlet, at least not right away.

4.) THERE IS ALMOST NEVER A SECOND GUNMAN. (Caps added myself. I think this is really important.)

5.) Know the language:

• "We are hearing reports" - another word for "rumors". No details have been pinned down.
  • " is seeking confirmation" - someone else is reporting something, but that particular network is not confident to claim it as fact.
  • " has confirmed" - someone else has been reporting something, and that particular network has gotten enough information to confidently claim it as fact.
  • " has learned" - You'll hear this on the first network reporting a scoop. Or they're going out on a limb.

6.) Look for news outlets close to the incident. Local news coverage > CNN.

7.) Compare multiple sources/flip between channels. Reporting can differ radically in many cases.

8.) Beware Twitter - local news brings out the fakers and Photoshoppers.

9.) Don't retweet everything you hear.

• 1 month later...

Archived