Anyone embarrassed for CBS 2 with their new weather promo spots?

NYnewsFan

I have caught a couple of these new promos for the CBS 2 weather team and I was actually embarrassed by what I saw. I wouldn't expect this kind of promo coming from a weather team in market 85. If they were trying to come across as funny - the spots aren't all that clever. And they certainly don't make them seem credible.

One spot has them talking about figuring out the temperature by counting the number of times a grasshopper chirps in 15 seconds and then adding whatever number to it. It may be true and it may really work but I wouldn't consider this the best way to promote a station's weather team.

And I have to say I genuinely feel sorry for John Bolaris. Look at what the station has surrounded him with. A dull and boring weekend weather person that pales in comparison to who was replaced (par for the course with channel 2). He has to deal with a clown disguised as a weather person in the morning that actually makes Dave Price look like a true professional. And then you have Sam Champion Lite that has less credibility than a meteorology degree from Phoenix University online.

The commercials do a disservice for the station by making their weather team look like a joke.

I kind of like the spots. And I agree about Quinn and Elliott, but Elise Finch is fabulous.

John Elliot might be a clown, but he is indeed smarter and better than Quinn. I'd rather watch him giving weather than monitor-looking-forecast Quinn

I like them. It's new, refreshing and some of them are informative. Like the one about the chirps a cricket makes in 15 seconds and adding 37 which results to the outdoor temperature. It's better than the corny ones that WABC had with people in costumes of clouds, thunder and snow. Or their lotto promo with the walking "7". Lame.

I kind of like the spots. And I agree about Quinn and Elliott, but Elise Finch is fabulous.

John Elliot might be a clown, but he is indeed smarter and better than Quinn. I'd rather watch him giving weather than monitor-looking-forecast Quinn

I agree...I like Elise. Let's face it, Quinn was hired for his looks...but he is definatley more qualified than Champion who not only managed 15+ years in the #1 TV market but also got promoted to the national level. But if NBC can let Willard Scott be unqualified and yet still do the weather, I guess we can't fault these guys for being pretty.

I think the promos are great. They are informative and fun at the same time, and they are different than anything else on the air right now.

I also agree that Elise is decent. She's not as good as Jeff Berardelli, but she's also not terrible. She seems to know what she's talking about and does a good job. My problem is with the anchors she's paired with on weekend mornings... Sean Hennessey and Deborah Garcia are AWFUL. They both cannot get through the newscast without stumbling or having awkward moments. CBS 2 needs to bring Cindy and Kirstin back.

I guess I am in the minority with not liking these spots. I did see one with John Bolaris talking about lightning striking the Empire State Building and it was just him so that is why I liked it.

Those channel 7 ads are lame. How about the one where they set Sam Champion's name to Queen's "We are the Champions?" And WNBC airs a song all day that says for the the thrill of being number one when they are number one in nothing so I guess these ads are better. Nothing beats Bolaris knocking out Sam Campion in the ring. I guess I just prefer Jeff Berardelli and Craig Allen on the weekends compared to Elise Finch.

Sean Hennessey and Deborah Garcia are awful anchors. John Elliott would be a better anchor at this point.

Sean Hennessey and Deborah Garcia are awful anchors. John Elliott would be a better anchor at this point.

Spot On. John Elliot is funny, likes to jump around and has the dynamic of a morning person. If WCBS changed Maurice from mornings and paired up John Elliot and Kate, and bringing back Audrey, that would be good. And another anchor that needs to hit the axe damn soon is Kristine Johnson. She might have great and sexy legs but she is horrible reading news. She should be put as reporter and let her grow IF she wants to. I miss Cindy from her noon days. If Chris Wragge gets the Saturday Early Show spot with hotness Maggie Rodriguez, then maybe they can put Brendan Keefe of hell even Andrew Kirtzman to anchor CBS 2 News at Noon and 5PM, no fluffy things only hard news at 5. If WCBS wants nice looking people, they should hire people like Maggie, she is good looking, profesional and smart. And Sam Champion at least was good doing the weather. Not like Quinn, who is always looking at the monitors while giving the weather. Elsie is a good forecaster.

I was one of those who originally critized Kristine, but she has improve quite a bit. I think WCBS' plan is to hire those who won't cost them a lot and then try to build them up. For instance, the weekend team of Hennesy/Garcia and Wragge (i doubt if he was still the sports anchor, CBS would consider him for the weekend spot).

I was one of those who originally critized Kristine, but she has improve quite a bit. I think WCBS' plan is to hire those who won't cost them a lot and then try to build them up. For instance, the weekend team of Hennesy/Garcia and Wragge (i doubt if he was still the sports anchor, CBS would consider him for the weekend spot).

I agree with you Kristine as improve or maybe I just get use to seeing her. Hennessey and Garcia are the worst anchors to grace television especially for a light weekend morning newscast. Gosh they are terrible. I dont even like when they fill in on weekdays. I have been watching CBS2 this morning for the past week and came to my conclusion that Kate, Maurice and and John Elliot is not that bad. It is unbelievable how Maurice could have chemistry with someone. Kate is steady and give it a few years she will be promoted.

This I dont understand when Cindy contract was not going to be renewed I have seen her more on screen than now when they renew it. They just dont like her period.

Cindy has proven herself to be an excellent reporter and anchor. It's a waste of her talent just reporting. Too bad she signed her contract with WCBS prior to the change at WNBC. She would have fit in wonderfully on Live at 5 with David.

Can you believe CBS2 fired Reid Lamberty for Sean Hennessey?

They didn't liked him. I bet David Friend's suits must be horrible if he hires people with bad suits.

They didn't liked him. I bet David Friend's suits must be horrible if he hires people with bad suits.

Haha

What is not to like about Reid? Looks great on-camera and is smart as hell, great news reader and reporter...can go from hard news to working the morning show effortlessly...and Fox5 snapped him right up. Personality conflict or just general CBS2 insanity/ bad management?

Haha

What is not to like about Reid? Looks great on-camera and is smart as hell, great news reader and reporter...can go from hard news to working the morning show effortlessly...and Fox5 snapped him right up. Personality conflict or just general CBS2 insanity/ bad management?

Well, they got rid of Audrey & Reid, demoted Cindy, etc. That's just idiotic movements to save a few $$$$ and insanity

Archived