KPRC Getting New Studios

NewsStar2

This one has been percolating for a bit, but since word is starting to get out, it might as well be posted.

While local blogger Mike McGuff has mentioned some general bits about the deal in his post on the matter today, the post on another Houston-based forum had more specifics:

So here is the "big" news:

Channel 2 will begin construction of a brand new studio on the same lot as the current building. Construction should begin in June. It's a 3-story, all digital media center and will be built in the back parking lot of the current studios. The current location will remain in use until the building in the back parking lot is completed. Once it is completed, the old building will be demolished.

As far as employees go, they will park at an off-site location and be shuttled to work for 2 years while construction is underway. I have not seen the renderings but should be pretty nice when completed.

They are basically doing the same thing KSAT did. They built their now current building in their side parking lot, had employees park off site and then tore the old building once it was all done with.

KSAT's new building, especially the newsroom, is impressive to say the least, and hopefully KPRC's will turn out similar.

Since 1972 they have broadcasted in their current Sharpstown Facility.

KPRC used to have three studios until they debuted the KPRC Newsplex set in the late 90s which took one of the walls down to make it two studios. I think now their current set is in the smaller studio and I wonder if the Newsroom is just being used as a newsroom with any modifications or edits or just not. Would be intrigued to see if it has been unaltered or heavily altered since KPRC doesn't show its newsroom at all.

Since 1972 they have broadcasted in their current Sharpstown Facility.

KPRC used to have three studios until they debuted the KPRC Newsplex set in the late 90s which took one of the walls down to make it two studios. I think now their current set is in the smaller studio and I wonder if the Newsroom is just being used as a newsroom with any modifications or edits or just not. Would be intrigued to see if it has been unaltered or heavily altered since KPRC doesn't show its newsroom at all.

Really it took two studios for that tiny little thing called the "Newsroom"? Those desks I think were used for decor if anything.

WVIT in CT was the other station in recent history which built their studios in the existing lot, by taking part of their parking spaces to build it.

It was pretty big and I remember when I had a tour there as a freshman in high school (which was 15 years ago) that they took down a wall to make the newsplex studio. This was when they had the 3x3 videowall for the weathercenter and a functioning second story. There is a KPRC History Facebook page, but I am wondering if it has largely been unchanged since they moved to v.1 of the studio set.

By the way

a one minute bumper of V.3 of Hometown News which was really great although KPRC was widely lambasted during this era of LOCAL 2 News

• 7 months later...
Their current set is only a couple years old and one of the best looking ones in the country.

Wonder if they just plan to port it over and the new building is more to handle office space and technical problems.

They're still several years out before the new building is ready. At that point, they could probably go for a new set.

• 1 year later...

Bump Bump Bump.

Just recently, Houston media blogger Mike McGuff took a tour of the ongoing construction inside the future home of KPRC.

McGuff said some staffers might move in as early as March, while a brand new set from the new building could be going live the following month (in time for the May books).

Archived