Documentation for Graphics Packages

cbs2newengland

I would like to know if groups like Artworks, CBS', others' graphics hubs document how to use graphics packages properly? Without exploiting intellectual property, can someone tell me if there is such documentation, what is the outline, how big is the documentation and I'm assuming pictures would be used, and if so is every element featured?

I'm thinking of documenting my mock graphics so I know what to use for when, etc.

To the admins: I placed this originally in the Breakroom a) because I didn't think it was totally related to graphics, but more of an informal topical discussion on processes and practices and b) I didn't want this to be seen by strangers in case I was asking for too much general privileged-type of information.

They're commonly referred to as 'style guides'. They will list every template (lower thirds, over-the-shoulders, fullscreens, etc) and yes, the graphics hubs have them. Non-hubbed stations have them too if the Art Director is any good.

Not that it matters, a producer will never look at it.

Obviously the documentation is as big or as small as the graphics package and of course pictures are used to represent the elements.

*edit: SOME graphics hubs have them... the ones I have worked for and with did, but I am not sure if NBC has a style guide or CBS (which is not technically centralized/hubbed) provides a guide for their local stations.

They're commonly referred to as 'style guides'. They will list every template (lower thirds, over-the-shoulders, fullscreens, etc) and yes, the graphics hubs have them. Non-hubbed stations have them too if the Art Director is any good.

Not that it matters, a producer will never look at it.

Obviously the documentation is as big or as small as the graphics package and of course pictures are used to represent the elements.

*edit: SOME graphics hubs have them... the ones I have worked for and with did, but I am not sure if NBC has a style guide or CBS (which is not technically centralized/hubbed) provides a guide for their local stations.

I was going to say Lookbook, but thats more fashion I think.

How many elements are in a current graphics package that the larger groups use? And would these style guides extend to weather, and how many, like ~50 elements for their department?

I was going to say Lookbook, but thats more fashion I think.

How many elements are in a current graphics package that the larger groups use? And would these style guides extend to weather, and how many, like ~50 elements for their department?

There are TONs of elements (even variations of the same element) in bigger packages and usually CSDs are given toolkits for adding their own elements outside of what's provided.

The weather graphics usually have their own general guides but are laid out by the weather producer based on their own preferences and also what system the station is running although some group wide packages have stricter guidelines on weather graphics than others.

There are TONs of elements (even variations of the same element) in bigger packages and usually CSDs are given toolkits for adding their own elements outside of what's provided.

The weather graphics usually have their own general guides but are laid out by the weather producer based on their own preferences and also what system the station is running although some group wide packages have stricter guidelines on weather graphics than others.

what kind of toolkits are given, different gradients or blinking blocks (in the case of WCAU's Look F), are they like zipped files?

I might have up to 20 elements, if you count every little thing at the moment.

what kind of toolkits are given, different gradients or blinking blocks (in the case of WCAU's Look F), are they like zipped files?

I might have up to 20 elements, if you count every little thing at the moment.

Mostly 3D stuff that you can easily drop into AE and/or C4D and do whatever with.

In the case of WCAU's Look F, they took the entire original package from Artworks, deconstructed it added their own touches and made it their own look. I think the elements from that look that were the most true to the original look were the opens and the original weather graphics. Other than that though they seemed to throw the style guide out the window. Conversely though WTVJ totally customized Look F but did it completely within the style guide. Both turned out nice but for different reasons.

Mostly 3D stuff that you can easily drop into AE and/or C4D and do whatever with.

In the case of WCAU's Look F, they took the entire original package from Artworks, deconstructed it added their own touches and made it their own look. I think the elements from that look that were the most true to the original look were the opens and the original weather graphics. Other than that though they seemed to throw the style guide out the window. Conversely though WTVJ totally customized Look F but did it completely within the style guide. Both turned out nice but for different reasons.

So there is section in the style guides where it has "Here's some examples you could use with X element for a Y effect or impact"?

So there is section in the style guides where it has "Here's some examples you could use with X element for a Y effect or impact"?

There could be but those toolkits are usually used for building things like elements for topicals that are 9 times out of 10 not used during an actual newscast. You're usually free to do whatever with toolkit stuff as long as you're not violating a network logo's guidelines.

If you notice a lot of stations' looks for topicals are only loosely based on their news look and that's usually why.

There could be but those toolkits are usually used for building things like elements for topicals that are 9 times out of 10 not used during an actual newscast. You're usually free to do whatever with toolkit stuff as long as you're not violating a network logo's guidelines.

If you notice a lot of stations' looks for topicals are only loosely based on their news look and that's usually why.

BTW: Is the NBC logo circa 2011 with the plastic-y 3D look the official logo or is it back to the 1986, with a modern gradient glow?

BTW: Is the NBC logo circa 2011 with the plastic-y 3D look the official logo or is it back to the 1986, with a modern gradient glow?

The '86 logo is the official logo. It's just whatever firm that gets the job for doing the network's imaging gets creative license to to stylize it (once again within the guidelines).

Archived