KTLA Changes?

FiveNews

My iPhone prompted me to update a few apps...one of them was the KTLA app. A few things I noticed after the update was a bluish/gray "5" with a white background. Also, it opens up with "the beat." They have been branding themselves as "The Beat of Southern California" for quite sometime now. I have attached a screenshot from my phone below. I'm wondering if there will be any changes coming soon with their on-air presentation. Their current implementation has been in use since they debuted their current set in October 2009. The set update from 2009 was a refresh of their revamped set from ~2005/2006 making it about ten years old. If anyone has any other info, please share.

IMG_2955.PNG.90cfb599093c9f1137c13ba4962f3254.PNG

A few things I noticed after the update was a bluish/gray "5" with a white background.

Looks like a logo variant, who knows?

I'm wondering if there will be any changes coming soon with their on-air presentation.

I can only assume with confidence the 5dotfive GFX package is completed and is ready for launch at anytime from the looks of the promos.

[yt]p4MdWyxY9pU[/yt]

The package could launch possibly as early as Q4 2015 or even late as Q3 2016.

Yet again, we should prolly take this with a grain of salt because this is graphics for a promo. I've addressed this before that stations, especially those in the States, tend to commission new graphics which are sometimes contrary to their current on-air presentation. Nevertheless, I'm certain other people thought

Also, it opens up with "the beat." They have been branding themselves as "The Beat of Southern California" for quite sometime now.

The Beat of SoCal promos has been live for more than 2 years now. I suppose it's getting more usage now.

It appears to be mash up of the graphics created originally for WXMI and the new CBS graphics created for WTTV.

That's because it was commissioned by the same firm who created the Tribune Fox and Tribune CBS graphics package.

That's because it was commissioned by the same firm who created the Tribune Fox and Tribune CBS graphics package.

I understand that. But generally firms do not take exact elements from two different and mash them together. I understand elements being based off of other packages but in this case they just smashed them together. For example you wouldn't see an NBC Arthouse "Look G" Stinger with a "Look N" Lower 3rd.

I understand that. But generally firms do not take exact elements from two different and mash them together.

That's completely untrue. It's a common practice for most businesses dealing with television news presentation to have their own unique signature - visually, aurally, etc. For example: Gari has their own special signature, so does Stephen Arnold. Sometimes they may even recycle music beds for other packages, some are subtle, some are outright stolen for a lack of words. That's what makes them different from each other.

Otherwise, in this case, 5dotfive seems to have it's own visual signature so viewers, or Tribune itself, could assume it's a "standardized" package among its stations, KTLA, Tribune Fox and Tribune CBS. Obviously you can see a similarity of animation between Tribune Fox/CBS's gfx package and KTLA's that instantly stays "it's from this or that design firm".

Just a reminder... "5dotfive" is the Lead Designer for Tribune Creative West, which is the actual source of these packages. It's not an outside firm... Just someone who worked on the package adding it to their portfolio... In fact, if you look at the Tribune CBS package page on Behance, it says "Produced at Tribune Creative West © 2014."

EDIT: K. A. Batcha/"5dotfive" no longer works at Tribune according to his LinkedIn page.

Archived