CBS O&O redesign?

bostonmediaguy

N.B.: I apologize if this is not posted in the proper forum. I tried to find the CBS O&O discussion thread but the search is a little erratic.

Any word on a new graphics package for the CBS O&Os? There have been subtle signs of change in Boston. WBZ recently replaced a couple of Duratrans displays (visible here: http://boston.cbslocal.com/video/3290254-4-your-community-alzheimers-association/) with hues of light blue and orange.

In addition, the use of the DIN font family has increased.

Personally, I think it is badly needed. Many stations that adopted the O&O look underwent a severe downgrade in appearance from their former looks.

I can't get the video to load, but based on the thumbnails on the video page it looks like the panels there just get swapped out for different shows? There have been several videos posted since then for another show with the blue WBZ logo panels in that space.

They probably just got special panels for "4 Your Community" because it better matched the feel of the show.

That said, I don't really see anything wrong with the current graphics. They're pretty modern, bold, and fresh.

There have been several videos posted since then for another show with the blue WBZ logo panels in that space.

There are, indeed, different panels for different shows. The "default" panel, which features the Boston skyline with the block WBZ logo is used for newscasts and the "Keller at Large" political segment.

What's worth noting, though, is that the default panels have been replaced by the ones mentioned. Keller at Large happened to be taped earlier. The new panels have been seen in newscasts since the middle to end of last week.

I don't know whether it's safe to judge what WBZ is doing as a pre-cursor to new graphics because WBZ (aside from WJZ, of course) has always been the odd duck out when it comes to this stuff. I can vouch for the west coast O&Os, and I haven't really seen anything unusual on KPIX or KCNC other than KBCW's home brew graphics for their 10pm newscast. I also noticed that KCBS has really brightened up their blue grotto set and are using more variations of the O&O graphics that have a lot more gold in them, but I think some of them are just taken from KCAL's look, which is still pretty much just the current O&O look with some new coats of paint.

I'd be surprised to see anything change this soon, too. KPIX and KCNC as the last two to switch haven't even had this look for a full two years yet. I don't mind the look except for that awful cut of the Enforcer used in the opens— I hate those contrived, cheesy blaring trumpets, and it follows me everywhere I go. It's amazing that somebody in this decade wrote that, and that someone else said "yep, that sounds good." But I digress.

Archived