Not a joke: Sportsnet going over-the-top

Viper550

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-streaming-sportsnet-1.3514513

Good thing they announced this yesterday, because doing it today probably wouldn't have been a good idea - even I thought it was a joke.

You'd think a sports network owned by a cable company would be trying to stop cord cutting instead of embracing it. (Rogers, with fellow cable company Shaw, owns a Netflix competitor known as Shomi) If this works, it could have implications for ESPN's desire to cut the cable companies out of the equation and go direct to consumer. But $24.99 per-month for the main regional channels, One and 360 seems a little pricey.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-streaming-sportsnet-1.3514513

Good thing they announced this yesterday, because doing it today probably wouldn't have been a good idea - even I thought it was a joke.

You'd think a sports network owned by a cable company would be trying to stop cord cutting instead of embracing it. (Rogers, with fellow cable company Shaw, owns a Netflix competitor known as Shomi) If this works, it could have implications for ESPN's desire to cut the cable companies out of the equation and go direct to consumer. But $24.99 per-month for the main regional channels, One and 360 seems a little pricey.

Now this I can see ESPN doing, even though they haven't done it yet. I know ESPN does WatchESPN but if they did ESPN NOW or Go, then I wouldn't mind paying a certain amount per month for it, as long as they can put some shows on demand for anytime viewing within the app or website like The Dan LeBatard Show with Stugotz's TV simulcast, Highly Questionable, SportsCenter and other programs.

(DISCLAIMER: I used those programs because those are the only ones I watch on a regular basis from ESPN)

Archived