KXAN is Getting a New Set

AaronQ

Merger hasn't been finalized yet and if I recall..its still one of the LIN/MG Flagships. If I also recall, their studios when I pass by there in Austin were not big by any stretch of the imagination.

Space is definitely going to be an issue. The building is small ... they actually have some employees housed in a building across the street. The studio in particular is tiny. Will be interesting to see what they come up with. They just remodeled their newsroom so it's kind of interesting that they aren't broadcasting from there. The temp set with the black background isn't very attractive.

That dark background with the distorted NBC peacock on the temporary set was the background behind the desk on their main set for the last couple years before they got the set that was just decommissioned. It looked even worse when it was surrounded by light wood and sky blue on the rest of that set. I'm surprised that they aren't borrowing the Studio 512 set. Apparently, there's enough room in there to play tennis, which makes me think that it should be pretty easy to stick a table and a monitor at one end and call it a temporary news set.

I find it interesting that this was actually the newest set among Austin's English-language broadcasters, but it's the one that looked the most dated. Maybe it was just a question of KTBC refreshing the technology on their set and KVUE and KEYE having old enough sets that they don't have much technology besides a plasma or two.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I was expecting new graphics.

They've had those for years, and the only things that have aged well are the opens.

Austin is a market that is subar for graphics.

They actually refreshed the L3s within the past year so I wasn't counting on that, even though it would have been nice. The tweaked L3s go the full length of the screen and are blue and white instead of solid blue.

Some of the graphics they are putting on the new video walls today are super cheesy. They need a template or something for standardization.

Their current set is being dismantled and it's gonna be debuted in August.

[MEDIA=twitter]747623312126156801[/MEDIA]

I'm guessing that the set that is being dismantled was built by FX. The blue laminate on the top is a dead giveaway. WCMH's sets have that laminate. Somebody should tell FX it looks like crap on TV.

• 1 month later...

Archived