PSIP's and Station Branding

KKyuubi

Okay, we all know the drill: these digital television signals broadcast on different signals than their analog counterparts and they use these PSIP ID's to make the tuner put all the channels on their correct channel number. But, you know how some of these channels in some markets brand based of their positioning on cable systems sometimes? Once the shutoff occurs, there will only be these "mirrored" channels on OTA, and then people using cable/sattelite. But, that got me thinking: why don't the stations that brand like that use their PSIP ID's to change the channel numbers so that they all use the same number (even on OTA)?

A good example of how this could be used, is using WWJ as an example. It's on Channel 62 on OTA, but most cable systems carry it on Channel 15. But, the station brands as "CBS Detroit". If they wanted to start a news operation and all that, and wanted a more "proper" name under the CBS Mandate, they could theoretically brand as "CBS 15". making 15 be their channel number on Digital OTA, and since most cable systems put it on Channel 15, it would be perfect!

That sounds like a pretty feasable idea, but why don't these stations actually do stuiff like that?

It really has to do with what the FCC assigns you.

So...even though WWJ is on 62, that's their OTA, FCC-assigned signal. They couldn't do a remap to 15 just because the cable companies put their channel on 15. They would have to get clearance from the FCC to essentially move up the OTA broadcast dial to 15.

When the flip to digital happens, channel numbers really won't make a huge difference.

-T

So...even though WWJ is on 62, that's their OTA, FCC-assigned signal. They couldn't do a remap to 15 just because the cable companies put their channel on 15. They would have to get clearance from the FCC to essentially move up the OTA broadcast dial to 15.

Not necessarily true. San Diego's CW station, KSWB, brands itself as "CW 5" reflecting its channel position on cable systems around the county, but its OTA channel is actually 69. KSWB's digital channel, though, maps to 5-1. Interestingly enough, KNSD-DT is on 39-1 even though it's on channel 7 on all San Diego County cable systems.

Not necessarily true. San Diego's CW station, KSWB, brands itself as "CW 5" reflecting its channel position on cable systems around the county, but its OTA channel is actually 69. KSWB's digital channel, though, maps to 5-1. Interestingly enough, KNSD-DT is on 39-1 even though it's on channel 7 on all San Diego County cable systems.

But I imagine they needed some sort of written permission from the FCC to do that...

-T

I think the FCC-required mapping to the analog channel numbers has to do with confusing viewers as little as possible.

How's it being done in Canada? It seems that most of the stations there don't use their OTA analog channel numbers in their branding, so there's likely no mapping requirement. (I could be wrong, though.)

Someone tell the FCC so they can slap them with a fine. That's not allowed.

The PSIP standard REQUIRES a station to remap to their analog channel, if they have one. The FCC is not, at present, making any exceptions that I am aware of.

- Trip

Someone tell the FCC so they can slap them with a fine. That's not allowed.

The PSIP standard REQUIRES a station to remap to their analog channel, if they have one. The FCC is not, at present, making any exceptions that I am aware of.

- Trip

I am sure the FCC is aware on what KSWB is doing. Otherwise they would have fined them a long time ago. The FCC are like eagles...always vigilant.

Archived