KTLA Morning News Saturdays expands

fan of la tv

Starting Saturday, August 6th, the Saturday KTLA Morning News adds an hour and will go from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. CW's One Magnificent Morning will now start at 10 a.m. The Sunday edition already runs from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.

Another quick programming note: KTLA aired a 5 p.m. newscast during the Republican and Democratic convention. Regular programming was to resume August 1st in that hour. However, it seems they extended the 5 p.m news for another week. My thought is we might see a 5 p.m. newscast until the fall when the new CW daytime hour premieres.

The programming guides last week originally had this week with Crime Watch Daily at 5 pm. They were only updated on Monday to show a 5 pm newscast for this week. Next week shows Crime Watch Daily at 5 pm again. KTLA has been rolling scrollers throughout the day advertising a special edition of KTLA News at 5. This action says to me that the newscast is not permanent and appears to be week-to-week.

The programming guides last week originally had this week with Crime Watch Daily at 5 pm. They were only updated on Monday to show a 5 pm newscast for this week. Next week shows Crime Watch Daily at 5 pm again. KTLA has been rolling scrollers throughout the day advertising a special edition of KTLA News at 5. This action says to me that the newscast is not permanent and appears to be week-to-week.
Robert Irvine starts on Sept. 12...so they've got another month if they wish to continue until then.

Four other stations have the news at 5. Why do you need FIVE? That's just too crowded.

It may very well be crowded. But I think it's worth considering. According to the May Sweeps ratings, KTLA's 6pm out drew KTTV's 5pm. If I was the news director and the special 5pm news draws good ratings, I would go for it. But that's me.

Four other stations have the news at 5. Why do you need FIVE? That's just too crowded.

Does seem crowded but 5 stations do compete from 4:30am - 7am and have so for years. However, KTLA's weakest newscast is 6 p.m. Maybe they have seen some positive numbers at 5 p.m.

Because its L.A. That market is very busy. After all, they got local news on for mostly every hour between 4:00am-12:00am (save for 10:30am, 2:00pm and 11:35pm)

Not only that, all five compete from 4:30-7:00am, two from 7:00-10:00am, three at 11:00am, two at noon, two at 3:00, three at 4:00, two at 4:30, four at 5:00, 5:30 and 6:00, three at 10:00 and four at 11:00.

It's already crowded in most timeslots so I won't be surprised if KTLA goes 5:00-7:00pm permanently.

It may very well be crowded. But I think it's worth considering. According to the May Sweeps ratings, KTLA's 6pm out drew KTTV's 5pm. If I was the news director and the special 5pm news draws good ratings, I would go for it. But that's me.

Because its L.A. That market is very busy. After all, they got local news on for mostly every hour between 4:00am-12:00am (save for 10:30am, 2:00pm and 11:35pm)

Not only that, all five compete from 4:30-7:00am, two from 7:00-10:00am, three at 11:00am, two at noon, two at 3:00, three at 4:00, two at 4:30, four at 5:00, 5:30 and 6:00, three at 10:00 and four at 11:00.

It's already crowded in most timeslots so I won't be surprised if KTLA goes 5:00-7:00pm permanently.

And I think it's a waste. Stations shouldn't be banking on adding newscasts left and right, just because they can. Their content won't be any better or different. I don't care how busy L.A. is (or any other market for that matter). That's not how you program your television station as a whole. They need some room to breathe to put other programming on that's not news. Crime Watch Daily is great lead-in to their 6pm broadcast. There's no need to change that. And they're already have a 3pm news. Sad that Channel 7 decided to join them, when they're already on 4, 5 & 6pm.

And I think it's a waste. Stations shouldn't be banking on adding newscasts left and right, just because they can. Their content won't be any better or different. I don't care how busy L.A. is (or any other market for that matter). That's not how you program your television station as a whole. They need some room to breathe to put other programming on that's not news. Crime Watch Daily is great lead-in to their 6pm broadcast. There's no need to change that. And they're already have a 3pm news. Sad that Channel 7 decided to join them, when they're already on 4, 5 & 6pm.

They also do a hour 7 p.m. newscast on KDOC 56. Essentially, have a 5-hour block from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. with the exception of ABC World News at 6:30.

Archived