Park Place Studios; Sold or Bankrupt?

TVCSD

Word on the street is Park Warne, the owner of Park Place Studio, is shopping his résumé to scene shops as a freelance designer. Park Place recently ran out of cash to pay his bills on two large set projects and the broadcast ownership had to bail him out financially after he spent their money in order to finish the projects. Looks like he's folding his tent and trying to start fresh, possibly to avoid pending legal liability? Who knows, buyer beware!

Word on the street is Park Warne, the owner of Park Place Studio, is shopping his résumé to scene shops as a freelance designer. Park Place recently ran out of cash to pay his bills on two large set projects and the broadcast ownership had to bail him out financially after he spent their money in order to finish the projects. Looks like he's folding his tent and trying to start fresh, possibly to avoid pending legal liability? Who knows, buyer beware!

Such a tease! OK ... so who was the station group who was hosed? Which stations?

Such a tease! OK ... so who was the station group who was hosed? Which stations?

Either a station group or major network. That seems odd, though, given that Park Place hasn't been particularly popular lately. The most recent work I can recall Park Place doing is for a few of the Scripps stations (KSHB, WMAR, WCPO).

Would the loss of PPS really be a loss? Their designs are fairly sterile. When I think PPS I think very "long" sets with a heavy emphasis on lines.

This is the exact reason we only use the Ikea sets at KBEX TV-3. Plus the pictures make Assembly easy for Old Gus our illiterate union set builder from Uberstan.

bekant-desk-oak-veneer-white__0250522_pe388790_s5.thumb.jpg.f70cb1b517b0ac3085463fd79fed7e05.jpg

Now with optional glass panels and desktop monitor, USB and IFB plugs.

Would the loss of PPS really be a loss? Their designs are fairly sterile. When I think PPS I think very "long" sets with a heavy emphasis on lines.

They did a quite a few sets earlier this year, KLAS, WTVF, KGUN (which didn't really follow the designs they've been delivering for Scripps), and Root Sports Pittsburgh.

Park Place had some unique designs back when companies weren't approaching them going "We want what they're having"...

Im wondering if Scripps bailed him out if he was doing work for WTVF and KGUN. I know with KLAS and them being Nexstar..that could have been the one that sunk him as well if Nexstar paid a lot less for the set than the quality that he delivered

• 3 weeks later...

Supposedly a similar set to KLAS is being installed right now in Sioux City, IA (DMA #149) at KCAU. Owned by Nexstar as well...who knows how dumbed down it is, and how many of the sets Nexstar purchased. I'm thinking that Nexstar is pretty on the cheap...so possibly could be it.

Archived