Spectrum Auction Results

tyrannical bastard

Follow-up regarding the Milwaukee channel shuffle on Monday. The Journal-Sentinel has released the new channel lineup post-switch. It basically confirms that WCGV as a separate license station will cease to be on Monday.

There going to have five programming streams on WBME's frequency (The M, Bounce, MeTV, Decades & H&I). So which stream will be on 58.3? I would move MeTV to 58.3 and have WMLW simulcast on 58.2,

And it confirms that WMLW will have a full-market simulcast on WDJT. But it will be on 58.3.

Still wished it was 58.2, though. It would've made the most sense. I also liked the original proposal for H&I & Decades grouped on the subs of 41, instead of 49. After all, all three (along with MeTV) run similar programming.

WVTV

18.1 CW

24.1 MyNet

24.2 Comet

WBME/WMLW

41.1 MeTV

49.1 WMLW

49.2 Bounce

49.3 H&I

49.4 Decades

WDJT

58.1 CBS

58.2 MeTV (simulcast)

58.3 WMLW (simulcast)

58.4 Telemundo (simulcast)

WYTU

63.1 Telemundo

63.2 This TV

WMVS/WMVT

10.1 WMVS

10.2 Create

10.3 PBS Kids

36.1 WMVT

36.2 PBS World

36.3 Weather

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here are some interesting CSAs.

Two TBN owned stations are going to be channel sharing with two Class-A low power stations, with the Class As being the "sharer" or the host station. Both Class As are owned by LocusPoint Networks (Could TBN end up buying these two from them? LocusPoint has been on a selling spree lately).

WWTO in LaSalle, IL, which took a whopping $304.25M in the auction (the largest amount for a single station), will channel share with Plano, IL's WLPD-CD. WLPD is in the process of moving from RF 35 to RF 32.

And WTBY in Poughkeepsie, NY, will be channel sharing with Edison, NJ's WDVB-CD. That station is moving from RF 23 to RF 22.

Keep in mind, both WWTO & WTBY's main signals were so far, it was hard to reach if you lived closer to Chicago or New York City respectively. Now they've made CSAs with Class-As that have in-city coverage, but will no longer have coverage from their respective communities of licenses (LaSalle and Poughkeepsie).

Follow-up. They are. TBN is buying the hosting stations (WDVB & WLPD) outright for $13M.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't know if this was brought up but:

As of April 23rd, WKBN shut off its RF 41 signal and moved to WYTV's RF 36 signal.

Here is the lineup as of the 23rd:

RF 19 (WYFX-LD)

19.1 - WYFX / FOX in HD

19.2 - MyYTV / MyNet in HD

19.3 - ION in SD

19.4 - Bounce in SD

19.5 - LAFF in SD

19.6 - Get TV in SD

RF 36 (WKBN/WYTV)

27.1 - WKBN / CBS in HD

27.2 - WYFX / FOX in HD

33.1 - WYTV / ABC in HD

33.2 - MyYTV / MyNet in SD

• 1 year later...

Okay. I'm bumping this thread because I'm surprised no one has talked about this.

We're coming towards the crucial phases of this spectrum auction repack, where multiple TV stations will be switching to their post-auction channels. If you've been hearing "rescan your TV" lately, this is the reason.

In this 4th phase of the repack, close to 80 TV stations (mostly in the Northeast region) will be moving to their new allotments (some of them simultaneously) between today and Friday (8/1 & 8/2). 

Some stations including WFSBWNBC, WCAU, WRC, WVITWTXF & WNYW will be switching as early as this afternoon. While others like WKYC, WNEU, & WCVB, will be switching tomorrow.

Phase 5 will mostly affect the stations in the Southeast region next month, while Phase 6 will affect a good chunk of the Midwest in later this fall. Many other stations will switchover in subsequent phases until the 10th and final phase in July 2020.

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2019 at 9:10 PM, mrschimpf said:

It's the perfect time anyways, with off air periods as Milwaukee is the lucky market for spectrum reallocation next week.

Glad you mentioned it. A good chunk of the stations in the Midwest (including Chicago, Milwaukee & South Bend) will be moving RF channels this Friday (10/18).

But over the weekend, WTTW announced that they're switching RF channels early on Tuesday (10/15).

Unless you're an avid-viewer of channel 11, I'm thinking most folks will wait till Friday to rescan. What's the use to doing two rescans in a week? All the other stations have heavily-promoted the "October 18" date.

• 8 months later...

Bumping this up again.

We're about two weeks before the July 3rd deadline of the final phase of the repack (Phase 10). More than 100 TV stations will be switching their RF channels between now and 7/3.

Surprisingly, WFOX in Jacksonville, FL has been granted permission to extend its deadline to transition from RF 32 to RF 14 by September 8th.

There "could" be a few more stations asking for extensions like WFOX, but they believe most of the stations will meet the deadline in two weeks.

Of the 987 TV stations that were assigned to new channels, only 92 stations have yet to transition, and the Commission does not anticipate the need for more than a few other short extensions where, like WFOX, unforeseeable circumstances may also arise through no fault of a television station.

Archived